Quick question on iodination of acetone.

by Alex48674
Tags: acetone, iodination
Alex48674
Aug25-08, 11:55 PM
P: 70
In class today we did a lab with acetone (4M), iodine (.0050M), and HCl (1.0M). The lab was one kinetics and on determining the rate constant, rates, and orders. Which I've done fine, but I'm stuck on this question: Why is the concentration of I2 so much less then the other reactants?

Any help would be appreciated, and it's due tomorow =]

Btw

Rate=2.1 (Ms)^(-1) x 10^(-5) x (Acet) x (H+)

Second order reaction.

First order with respect to Acet and H+, zero order with respect to I2

Just to prove I've done the work =]
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Kushal
Aug26-08, 11:59 AM
P: 440
the rate of reaction is already slow because of the acetone and H+ reacting. if you use low concentrations of them, the reaction would be even slower.

and since iodine is zero order, using a very low concentration does not affect the rate. probably you have been given low concentration because of economic reasons or maybe to reduce health hazards when pipetting iodine, because it is toxic.
Alex48674
Aug26-08, 02:18 PM
P: 70
Ahhh thanks, that makes sense.

chemisttree
Aug29-08, 03:02 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,725

Quick question on iodination of acetone.

You followed the rate of reaction by monitoring the loss of yellow (iodine) color in solution. Concentrated solutions of iodine would not likely give you linearity with respect to concentration (Beer's law).
Kushal
Aug29-08, 10:30 PM
P: 440
i guess this makes more sense!!!
uvindigo
Feb7-11, 10:37 PM
P: 1
Iodine is the main determinant in the reaction. So, the reaction will continue until it's gone. Therefore, increasing the concentration of Iodine would cause the reaction to go on much longer and usually a reaction that only takes a few minutes gives you much easier and more accurate numbers to deal with.

Register to reply