Kinetics question (Chemical engineering)

In summary: Y.It makes more sense to use [X] though only for values that are significantly different from zero.What are the concentrations of X at the various times?The concentrations of X were 0.030M, 0.60M, 1.20M, and 2.40M at the five time points.
Beyar
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Hey!

I have a question regarding this question that I have to answer. It is about the kinetics of a substance X whose product is 2Y. It is in Swedish and here is the translation:

The absorbance of a 0,030M-solution of X was calculated with the help of a Spectrometer. The Spectrometer was calibrated to measure the absorbance of the product Y in the following reaction: X(g)-->2Y(g). The koncentration of Y was measured after a minute and every minute consequentially in 23 minutes. The graph shows these concentrations:The question is, calculate the reaction rate constant.

Now to do this, in my opinion and hunch, is we have to know the reaction order and to find it out I usually use a calculator to make a graph of the concentration vs. time, ln(concentration) vs. time and 1/(concentration) vs. time to see whether we deal with a 0, 1 or 2nd order reaction. But I can't seem to get equal amounts of points to make a graph, hence I am stuck :/.
Would anyone please kindly help me with this question?
Kinetic1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
@Beyar I do not think this is homework. Is that correct?

This is homework, indeed. I've been having issues with it for a while now and made several calculations and still get the wrong answer.

What do you mean by "can't get equal amount of points to make a graph"?

Beyar said:
make a graph of the concentration vs. time, ln(concentration) vs. time and 1/(concentration) vs. time to see whether we deal with a 0, 1 or 2nd order reaction
For what data are those relationships valid? Can you use them with your given [Y]-t data?

These functions of concentration of what against time? X or Y? For your points after about 10 minutes you are so close to equilibrium or to zero [X] , i.e. essentially no reaction happening, that you cannot use them in your kinetics graphs - you cannot do kinetics where nothing is changing!

Last edited:
epenguin said:
These functions of concentration of what against time? X or Y? For your points after about 10 minutes you are so close to equilibrium or to zero [X] , i.e. essentially no reaction happening, that you cannot use them in your kinetics graphs - you cannot do kinetics where nothing is changing!
Against the concentration of Y.

It makes more sense to use [X] though only for values that are significantly different from zero.

Last edited:
Assume that the reaction is 1st order, and that the original concentration of Y is zero. What are the concentrations of X at the various times?

What is kinetics in chemical engineering?

Kinetics in chemical engineering refers to the study of the rates of chemical reactions and the factors that influence these rates. This includes understanding the reaction mechanism, reaction rate laws, and the role of temperature, pressure, and catalysts in affecting the rate of a reaction.

What is a reaction rate law?

A reaction rate law is an equation that describes the relationship between the concentrations of reactants and the rate of a chemical reaction. It is determined experimentally and can be used to predict how changes in reactant concentrations will affect the reaction rate.

What is a catalyst and how does it affect reaction kinetics?

A catalyst is a substance that increases the rate of a chemical reaction without being consumed in the reaction. It works by providing an alternate pathway for the reaction to occur with lower activation energy, making the reaction occur faster. Catalysts can also change the mechanism of a reaction, leading to different products.

What is the difference between a homogeneous and heterogeneous reaction?

A homogeneous reaction is one where the reactants and products are in the same phase (e.g. all liquid or all gas). A heterogeneous reaction is one where the reactants and products are in different phases (e.g. liquid and solid). The reaction rate for heterogeneous reactions is often dependent on the surface area of the reactants, while the reaction rate for homogeneous reactions is generally independent of surface area.

How is temperature related to reaction kinetics?

Temperature has a significant effect on reaction kinetics. Generally, as temperature increases, the rate of a reaction also increases due to the higher energy of the reactant molecules. This can be explained by the Arrhenius equation, which shows that the rate constant (k) of a reaction is directly proportional to the temperature (T). In some cases, a higher temperature can also lead to a change in the mechanism of a reaction, resulting in different products.