Register to reply

Basic Question about angle of inclination of a circle

by kungfuscious
Tags: angle, basic, circle, inclination
Share this thread:
kungfuscious
Aug30-08, 02:44 AM
P: 15
I've seen some measurements of supernovae, and they often mention a ring that's expanding. I can follow that. What is often stated is that they assume the ring is a circle, but of course it's seen at an angle from Earth.

One such example was a ring that looks like it's a certain size in the sky (x arcseconds, by y arcseconds). Assuming it was a circular ring, the auther just jumps to a conclusion, something like: "using geometry, we can see that the ring is inclined at an angle of e.g. i=29 degrees to face-on"

This should be simple geometry, and yet I'm stumped as to how to get the angle of inclination of the ring, assuming it's circular and looking at it's size in the sky in arcseconds.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Magnetar discovered close to supernova remnant Kesteven 79
Image: Hubble looks at light and dark in the universe
Mixing in star-forming clouds explains why sibling stars look alike
tiny-tim
Aug30-08, 05:54 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
Quote Quote by kungfuscious View Post
One such example was a ring that looks like it's a certain size in the sky (x arcseconds, by y arcseconds). Assuming it was a circular ring, the auther just jumps to a conclusion, something like: "using geometry, we can see that the ring is inclined at an angle of e.g. i=29 degrees to face-on"

This should be simple geometry, and yet I'm stumped as to how to get the angle of inclination of the ring, assuming it's circular and looking at it's size in the sky in arcseconds.
Hi kungfuscious ! Welcome to PF!

Yes, it's simple geometry

a circle seen at a angle is an ellipse

take a vertical circle of angular diameter x, and turn it round the vertical diameter, through an angle θ

the vertical diameter will have the same angular size, x, but the horizontal diameter will be reduced to angular size y = x cosθ

so just measure the longest and shortest diameters, x and y, and the angle is cos-1 y/x

Register to reply