Tilting a circle or ring over backwards creates an ellipse....

In summary, the speaker would like to be able to calculate the area of ellipses resulting from tilting a hoop or ring. The horizontal axis length of the ellipses remains the same as that of the original circle, while the vertical axis decreases with increasing tilt angle. The speaker suggests using (original height)·|sin (tilt angle)| to calculate the minor axis, and then using the constant major axis length to calculate the area of the resulting ellipses for different tilt angles.
Pogster
What I would like to be able to calculate is the following:

Suppose a hoop or ring is held up perpendicular to the ground and you stood in front of it, it would look perfectly circular and knowing the radius you could calculate the area of this circle. Now if this hoop was tilted over backwards it would look elliptical to you the observer. I need to be able to calculate the area of the resulting ellipses for any angle of tilt of my hoop.

Would the following be correct: The horizontal axis length of all the ellipses that result from tilting my hoop over are going to be the same as that of the original circle but the vertical axis is going to get progressively less. Can I therefore ignore the horizontal axis and treat the vertical axis as a pole falling over backwards and as it falls it's height decreases by: (original height) x sin (tilt angle). Which means for different tilt angles I can calculate the minor axis and with this value and the constant major axis length calculate the area of the resulting ellipses?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to MHB, Pogster! (Wave)

I agree with your reasoning, except I think we need to use:

(original height)·|sin (tilt angle)|

to avoid negative values when the tilt angle might be in the 3rd or 4th quadrants. :)

1. How does tilting a circle or ring over backwards create an ellipse?

When a circle or ring is tilted over backwards, the shape becomes distorted and elongated. This distortion creates an ellipse, which is a stretched out circle with two focal points instead of one. The tilt creates an asymmetrical shape, which is characteristic of ellipses.

2. What is the scientific explanation behind this phenomenon?

This phenomenon can be explained by the mathematical concept of eccentricity. When a circle is tilted, its eccentricity increases, meaning the distance between the center and the edge of the circle becomes unequal. This unequal distance results in the creation of an ellipse.

3. Can this phenomenon be observed in nature?

Yes, this phenomenon can be observed in many natural occurrences. For example, the orbits of planets around the sun are elliptical, as the gravitational pull of the sun causes the planet's orbit to become tilted and elongated. Additionally, the shape of egg yolks and some animal eyes are also ellipses due to tilting.

4. Is this phenomenon reversible?

Yes, this phenomenon is reversible. If an ellipse is tilted back to its original position, it will become a circle again. This can be observed with planets when their orbits shift over time, resulting in different degrees of tilt and eccentricity.

5. How is this phenomenon used in science or technology?

This phenomenon has various applications in science and technology. For instance, it is used in optical instruments such as telescopes and microscopes to create sharper and clearer images. It is also utilized in the design of satellite orbits and in the construction of elliptical gears for machinery.