Measuring volume flow rate

by jenSG
Tags: flow, measuring, rate, volume
Share this thread:
jenSG
Sep12-08, 02:37 AM
P: 3
Hi
I have a question about measuring volume flow rate with a laminar flow element.
I read the pressure difference across the element (mmH2o) and I get volume flow rate (cfm) from a calibration law. If that calibration law was obtained at standard conditions, would I have to correct it for different conditions? Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
FredGarvin
Sep12-08, 06:31 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
Not that I don't believe you, but I find it hard to believe that the unit was calibrated at standard conditions. The calibration was probably referenced to standard conditions. You might want to check the documentation with your unit. The ones we have have correction factors for calculating the actual flow for non standard conditions.
jenSG
Sep12-08, 10:00 AM
calb law is not at standard coditions ;-) I meant calibrated at certain conditions and then used at others.

Topher925
Sep12-08, 10:21 AM
P: 1,672
Measuring volume flow rate

It depends. Usually if you calibrate a measurement device its for a range of operating states or measurements. Otherwise there wouldn't be much of a point in calibrating it would there? What kind of change in conditions are you referring too? Pressure, temperature, less gravity, what? Are you talking about a wind tunnel or flow venturi or something?
FredGarvin
Sep13-08, 04:48 AM
Sci Advisor
A laminar flow element is a type of air flow meter. They are sometimes used as calibration masters.
russ_watters
Sep13-08, 09:53 AM
Mentor
P: 22,297
The biggest thing that typically affects airflow measurements is the density of the air. But what determines if you need to make a correction is how big the error is. If it is less than, say, 5%, then it is probably inside the error margin and repeatability of the device and system.
FredGarvin
Sep14-08, 11:48 AM
Sci Advisor
That's one of the things about these particular instruments. They are often used as calibration standards. The 5% number is huge. I have one on my desk right now that measures up to 150 scfm. It's not much but it does require corrections even for small variations if you need that level of accuracy. These guys are well beyond pitot tubes.
jenSG
Sep17-08, 02:27 AM
thanks for replying.
Should I correct the air volume flow rate for the inlet pressure ratio? I mean, if the calib. law is
Q [cfm] = (calib. coeff.) * Delta_h [mmH2O]
should it be Q [cfm] = (calib. coeff.) * Delta_h [mmH2O]* P_upstream/P_atm ?
CFDFEAGURU
Sep17-08, 01:34 PM
P: 723
The equations for many properties of air as a function of temperature can be found in ASTM C-680
CFDFEAGURU
Sep17-08, 01:46 PM
P: 723
Also, be very careful with "Standard Conditions" my "Standard" for air properties is 60 F but with a slight change of 8 degrees I almost lost my whole heat exchanger design once.

Register to reply