Calculating Output Pressure for 15L N2/min

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a high pressured gas tank and flow rate regulator to release 15L of nitrogen per minute for medical purposes. The individual is seeking help on how to measure the output pressure accordingly and regulate the flow. Various solutions, such as using a flow gauge and flow adjuster, are suggested. However, the conversation is closed due to language translation issues and concerns about the individual's knowledge and safety in operating the equipment for medical procedures.
jvrkoo
Hello, i’m not good in physics so I came here for help. I have a high pressured gas tank (200 bars) and a flow rate regulator. I need to release 15L of nitrogen per minute, but my regulator only measures output pressure between 0 and 400 bars (0 - 6000 psi). How do I measure the output pressure accordingly? Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Why do you need to read outlet pressure? You could simply adjust the flow rate regulator.

MIG and TIG welding uses pressure regulators, flow regulators and flow meters to control the flow of shielding gas. You will be able to find some solutions on eBay, a similar website, or your local welding equipment supplier.

Pay attention to the screw fittings used to connect the cylinder to the regulator.

Maybe you can explain what you are using it for, how accurate the flow must be, and how long it must run unattended.

Likes berkeman
I didn't quite understand your answer so I will add details.
Here is the kind of flow rate regulator I have : https://www.tireusesabiere.fr/reducteur-de-pression-azote-n2-1-conduite/a-963/
As you can see, it displays the output pressure in bars or psi, but I need to read and adjust the output flow in liters per minute. It doesn't have to be that accurate.
Thanks anyways

Does the second pressure gauge indirectly display the flow rate, or the output pressure due to following equipment?

You need to be able to calibrate the flow rate regulator. There are many ways of doing that.

I think it displays the pressure inside the bottle, in my case around 200 bars. Can you help me out to regulate the flow accordingly?

The regulator you show is a pressure regulator.
The gauges show the supply pressure and outlet pressure.
It is preset to a fixed output pressure.
It is NOT a flow regulator.

This is a flow gauge and flow adjuster.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/404001797186
You might use it with the pressure regulator you have.

How do you use the N2 gas?
Is it released into the atmosphere or some other pressure?

Likes gmax137 and Lnewqban
Ok I understand better now, thanks. The n2 is released into a hose, how is it any different?

jvrkoo said:
Ok I understand better now, thanks. The n2 is released into a hose, how is it any different?
Do you know the pressure that will be inside that hose while the flow of 15L of nitrogen per minute is happening.
For the same volume or volumetric flow, the mass of the transferred gas depends on the pressure.

No, I don't really know. Is it really impactful or does it make a slight difference?

jvrkoo said:
No, I don't really know. Is it really impactful or does it make a slight difference?
It may be impactful.
What is the N2 gas used for?
Why do you need 15 litre/minute of N2 gas to flow?

For medical purposes.

1. For what medical purposes is the N2 used?
2. Who will pay for the gas?

I will, but is that really relevant regarding the topic?

jvrkoo said:
I will, but is that really relevant regarding the topic?
YES, it is essential.

There is a language translation problem.
We do not know what you are doing.
You are carrying out an unspecified medical procedure.
You have insufficient knowledge to operate the equipment you intend to use.

I do not want the liability of helping you injure or kill your victims.

Likes russ_watters and DaveE
Thread closed for these reasons:
Baluncore said:
There is a language translation problem.
We do not know what you are doing.
You are carrying out an unspecified medical procedure.
You have insufficient knowledge to operate the equipment you intend to use.

I do not want the liability of helping you injure or kill your victims.

Likes berkeman

What is the formula for calculating output pressure for 15L N2/min?

The formula for calculating output pressure for 15L N2/min is: Output Pressure (in psi) = (Flow Rate (in L/min) x Gas Constant x Temperature (in K)) / Volume (in L).

What is the gas constant used in the calculation?

The gas constant used in the calculation is typically the universal gas constant, which has a value of 0.08206 L atm/mol K. However, depending on the units used for the other variables, different gas constants may be used.

What is the typical temperature used in the calculation?

The typical temperature used in the calculation is room temperature, which is approximately 298 K or 25°C. However, if the temperature of the gas being used is known, that value can be used instead.

What units should be used for the flow rate and volume in the formula?

The flow rate should be in L/min and the volume should be in liters. If other units are used, the gas constant may need to be adjusted accordingly.

How accurate is the output pressure calculation?

The accuracy of the output pressure calculation depends on the accuracy of the input variables and the gas constant used. It is important to use accurate and precise measurements to ensure a more accurate output pressure calculation.