Outlet Volume flow rate from a steam turbine

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of outlet volumetric flow rate for a turbine in the context of an Organic Rankine Cycle. The available data and formulas for calculating the flow rate are mentioned, with a specific focus on using the specific volume from thermodynamic tables for an organic fluid. The conversation ends with confirmation that the formula used is correct.
Izazo
TL;DR Summary
Turbine or expander in Organic Rankine Cycle. With available data of pressure inlet and outlet of turbine, temperature inlet and outlet, mass flow rate inlet to turbine, inlet & outlet enthalpies and entropies. calculating for a specific (eg 2KW) turbine power output.
I am working Organic Rankine Cycle. I studied a number of research papers and in most of them, they have calculated outlet volume flow rate from the turbine or expander, but have not mentioned the calculations. So here are the available data;

Pin = Turbine Inlet Pressure, 2.5 MPa
Pout = Turbine Outlet Pressure, 0.9 MPa
Tin = Turbine Inlet Temp, 373 K
Tout = Turbine Outlet Temp, 340K
Inlet & outlet enthalpies and entropies
Power output in KW, 2KW
mass flow rate kg/sec, 0.02 kg/sec

How do I calculate Outlet volumetric flow rate (m^3/sec)of a turbine? what is the formula for it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Izazo, :welcome: !

Is this a homework assignment ?

If it's all vapour, use the ideal gas law -- or, if available, actual molar volume from an equation of state or a property table.

The steam tables give this.

Here is what I did;
Volume flow rate at outlet(m^3/sec) = mass flow rate(kg/sec) / Densisty at turbine outlet(kg/m^3)

Chestermiller said:
If it's steam we are talking about, ...

Chestermiller said:
Have not seen "Volume flow rate in steam table" though, and its Organic fluid in my calculations.

No of course not. What have you seen in the properties of your organic fluid ?

Izazo said:
Have not seen "Volume flow rate in steam table" though, and its Organic fluid in my calculations.
You seem to have thermodynamic tables for your organic fluid. One of the columns in the tabes is specific volume. Once you know the specific volume of your fluid at the exit and the mass flow rate, this tells you the volume flow rate.

Likes Izazo
Izazo said:
Here is what I did;
Volume flow rate at outlet(m^3/sec) = mass flow rate(kg/sec) / Densisty at turbine outlet(kg/m^3)
So i am using the right formula...
Thanks guys,

Izazo said:
So i am using the right formula...
Thanks guys,
or equivalently (mass flow rate) x (specific volume)

Likes Izazo
Thanks, Izazo for sharing this information with us

1. What is the outlet volume flow rate from a steam turbine?

The outlet volume flow rate from a steam turbine refers to the amount of steam that is discharged from the turbine per unit time. It is typically measured in cubic meters per second (m3/s) or cubic feet per minute (CFM).

2. How is the outlet volume flow rate determined?

The outlet volume flow rate from a steam turbine is determined by various factors such as the size and design of the turbine, the steam pressure and temperature, and the load on the turbine. It can also be calculated using mathematical equations based on the turbine's efficiency and other parameters.

3. Why is the outlet volume flow rate important in a steam turbine?

The outlet volume flow rate is important in a steam turbine because it directly affects the power output of the turbine. A higher flow rate means more steam is being converted into mechanical energy, resulting in a higher power output. It also affects the efficiency and performance of the turbine.

4. How does the outlet volume flow rate impact the efficiency of a steam turbine?

The outlet volume flow rate is a crucial factor in determining the efficiency of a steam turbine. A lower flow rate can lead to inefficient operation and reduced power output, while a higher flow rate can result in excessive steam consumption and reduced efficiency. Therefore, it is important to maintain an optimal flow rate for maximum efficiency.

5. Can the outlet volume flow rate be controlled in a steam turbine?

Yes, the outlet volume flow rate can be controlled in a steam turbine through various methods such as adjusting the steam pressure and temperature, changing the nozzle size, and controlling the load on the turbine. These methods help to maintain a consistent and optimal flow rate for efficient operation of the turbine.