How do I derive this equation? HELP

• Thread starter psychfan29
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derive
In summary, the conversation discusses how to derive a specific equation using derivatives. The process involves plugging in a value for t and using derivatives to get the final equation. The steps are explained and the conversation ends with a simplified version of the equation.
psychfan29
How do I derive this equation?!? HELP!

I started with the equation:
y=yinitial + (vinitialsintheta)t -1/2gt^2

I plugged in t=x/(vinitialcostheta)

to get: y=yinitial + x (tantheta) - [(gx^2)/(2(vinitial^2)(cos^2theta))]

Using derivatives, how do I get from this equation:

y=yinitial + x (tantheta) - [(gx^2)/(2(vinitial^2)(cos^2theta))]

to this equation:

(dy)/(dtheta)=
x(sec^2theta)-[(gx^2(tantheta)(sec^2theta))/(vinitial^2)]

I am completely and totally and utterly confused, bewildered, perplexed, and a list of other things.
Plese help!

Physics news on Phys.org

To get from y=yinitial + x (tantheta) - [(gx^2)/(2(vinitial^2)(cos^2theta))]

to this equation:

(dy)/(dtheta)=
x(sec^2theta)-[(gx^2(tantheta)(sec^2theta))/(vinitial^2)] ---

Taking y and x not to vary with theta.. then they are taken as constants.
differentiating yinitial wrt theta gets 0,
differentiating x tantheta wrt theta gets x sec^2 theta (differentiate tangent to get sec^2)

You could use quotient rule for the last term to get
[gx^2 . (2 cos theta sin theta)] / [2 vinitial (cos^4 theta)]

before simplifying to get the eventual equation..

Deriving equations can be a challenging and confusing process, especially when dealing with multiple variables and trigonometric functions. However, with a systematic approach and some basic mathematical principles, we can break down the steps to derive the desired equation.

First, let's start by looking at the initial equation you provided:

y=yinitial + (vinitialsintheta)t -1/2gt^2

This is a standard equation for motion in the y-direction, where y represents the displacement, yinitial is the initial position, vinitial is the initial velocity, theta is the angle of launch, t is time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

To derive the desired equation, we need to use the chain rule of differentiation, which states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function. In this case, the inner function is t, and the outer function is the entire expression on the right side of the equation.

So, let's start by taking the derivative of the outer function with respect to theta:

(dy)/(dtheta) = (d/dtheta)[yinitial + (vinitialsintheta)t -1/2gt^2]

Next, we can apply the chain rule by multiplying the derivative of the outer function with the derivative of the inner function:

(dy)/(dtheta) = (d/dt)[yinitial + (vinitialsintheta)t -1/2gt^2] * (dt/dtheta)

Now, we need to find the derivative of the inner function, which is t in this case. Since t is a linear function, its derivative is simply 1. Therefore, we can simplify the equation to:

(dy)/(dtheta) = [yinitial + (vinitialsintheta)t -1/2gt^2] * 1

Next, we need to find the derivative of the outer function. This involves using the product rule of differentiation, which states that the derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the first function multiplied by the derivative of the second function, plus the second function multiplied by the derivative of the first function.

Applying the product rule, we get:

(dy)/(dtheta) = [yinitial + (vinitialsintheta)t -1/2gt^2] * (vinitialcos(theta)) + [(vinitialsintheta)t -1/2gt^2] * (d/dtheta)(vinitial

1. How do I start deriving an equation?

The first step in deriving an equation is to fully understand the problem and the variables involved. Identify what is known and what is unknown, and determine which mathematical principles or laws apply to the problem.

2. What is the process of deriving an equation?

The process of deriving an equation involves using mathematical principles and laws to manipulate and rearrange equations in order to solve for the unknown variable. This often requires algebraic manipulation and substitution of known values.

3. How do I know if my derived equation is correct?

You can check the correctness of your derived equation by plugging in known values and seeing if the solution matches your expected outcome. You can also ask for feedback from a peer or instructor.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when deriving an equation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when deriving an equation include incorrect algebraic manipulations, forgetting to substitute known values, and not simplifying the equation enough. It is also important to double check the units of the final equation to ensure they are consistent.

5. Can I use a calculator or computer to help me derive an equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator or computer to help you derive an equation by performing complex calculations and algebraic manipulations. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of the mathematical principles and laws involved in order to use these tools effectively.