Solving a Partial Derivative Problem Step-by-Step

In summary, the speed of the wave can be found by taking the square root of the partial t derivative divided by the sum of the partial x and y derivatives. The amplitude, phi, and the cosine portion of the partial derivatives all cancel out, leaving 2.5 for x, 3.7 for y, and -43.1 for t. However, this approach gives an incorrect answer. It would be easier to substitute the given wavefunction into the wave equation, simplify, and then solve for v. Alternatively, working symbolically with the given wavefunction can also lead to finding a symbolic expression for v, which can then be substituted with numerical values.
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
attached
So I start by isolating v

the speed here would be the square root of the partial t derivative divided by the sum of the partial x and y derivatives.

the amplitude, phi and the cos portion of the partial derivatives would all cancel out.

What I am left with is the sqrt(43.1 / ( 2.5 + 3.7 ) = 2.6359, but the answer is 9.56.

More step by step of my work:

Partial derivative of x is A2.5cos(2.5x+3.7y-43.1t)

This trend continues will all the other partial derivatives with A and cos(2.5x+3.7y-43.1t) being canceled out in the end. This would mean 2.5 is left for x, 3.7 is left for y, and -43.1 is left for t. Phi will also cancel. Now

0=2.5+3.7-43.1/v^2

v=sqrt(43.1/(2.5 + 3.7))

This gives the wrong answer of 2.64.

Attachments

• Question.PNG
    Question.PNG
    17 KB · Views: 115
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you notice the "2" on all the derivatives??

Likes JoeyBob
I think it will be easier if you substitute the given wavefunction into the wave equation, simplify what needs to be simplified and then solve for v instead of first solving for v in terms of the partial derivatives. Also, I would recommend working symbolically with ##\phi(\vec r,t)=A\sin(k_x x+k_y y+\omega t)## to write the derivatives, find a symbolic expression for ##v## and then substitute numbers.

Last edited:
hutchphd said:
Did you notice the "2" on all the derivatives??
Oh

Likes hutchphd
kuruman said:
I think it will be easier if you substitute the given wavefunction into the wave equation, simplify what needs to be simplified and then solve for v instead of first solving for v in terms of the partial derivatives. Also, I would recommend working symbolically with ##\phi(\vec r,t)=A\sin(k_x x+k_y y+\omega t)## to write the derivatives, find a symbolic expression for ##v## and then substitute numbers.
Whats the "wave equation?"

JoeyBob said:
Whats the "wave equation?"
The one given at the end of the attachment. Presumably the v is the speed you are asked to find. (There must have been a missing backslash in the latex, making ##\partial## display as ##partial##.)
But I think this is what you already tried, but overlooking that they're second derivatives?

I would have figured out the direction of the wave, effectively turning into a wave in one dimension, and taken the ratio of the coefficients to find the speed.

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. It is often denoted by ∂ (pronounced "del") and is used in multivariable calculus to solve problems involving functions with multiple independent variables.

2. How do I solve a partial derivative problem step-by-step?

To solve a partial derivative problem step-by-step, you first need to identify the function and the variable you are taking the derivative with respect to. Then, you can use the appropriate rules and formulas to calculate the partial derivative. It is important to carefully follow each step and make sure to keep track of the variables that are being held constant.

3. What are some common rules and formulas used in solving partial derivative problems?

Some common rules and formulas used in solving partial derivative problems include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules and formulas can be applied to functions with multiple variables to calculate the partial derivative with respect to a specific variable.

4. Can you provide an example of solving a partial derivative problem step-by-step?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x,y) = 3x^2 + 2xy + y^3 and we want to find the partial derivative with respect to x. First, we use the power rule to take the derivative of 3x^2, which gives us 6x. Then, we use the product rule to take the derivative of 2xy, which gives us 2y. Finally, we use the chain rule to take the derivative of y^3, which gives us 3y^2. Therefore, the partial derivative of f(x,y) with respect to x is 6x + 2y.

5. Why are partial derivatives important in science?

Partial derivatives are important in science because they allow us to analyze the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant. This is especially useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where many real-world problems involve multiple variables. Partial derivatives also play a crucial role in optimization and gradient-based algorithms, which are widely used in machine learning and data analysis.