Projectile Motion in an Electric field

In summary: Remember you want the angle values for both the original angle and 90 minus the original angle.In summary, two protons are launched with an initial speed of 10^5 m/s into a region with a uniform electric field of 800N/C [down] and are to hit a target 10.0 mm away. The two projection angles that will result in a hit are 2.2 degrees and 87.8 degrees. The total duration of flight for each trajectory is 10^-7 seconds. To find these angles, the equations x = v0 cos(theta) t and y = v0 sin(theta) t - 1/2 a t^2 were used, along with the fact that x = v
Elvis 123456789

Homework Statement

Protons are projected with an initial speed of v0 = 10^5 m/s into a region in which a uniform electric field E = 800N/C [down] is present. The protons are to hit a target that lies a horizontal distance of 10.0 mm from the point at which the protons are launched. a) find the two projection angles theta that will result in a hit b) what is the total duration of flight for each of the two trajectories?

Homework Equations

(1) x = v0 cos (theta) t

(2) y = v0 sin (theta) t - 1/2at^2

F=qE=ma

a=(qE)/m

The Attempt at a Solution

x = v0 cos(theta) t y = v0 sin(theta) t - 1/2 a t^2

when the proton hits its mark at 10 mm, the y displacement will be zero

1/2*a*t = v0 sin(theta) ===> t = (2*v0 sin(theta))/a

plugging t into the formula for the x displacement gives

x = v0 cos(theta)*(2*v0 sin(theta))/a

=> x = [(v0)^2 * sin(2theta)]/a
=> theta = 0.5 *arcsin( (a*x)/(v0)^2)
=> theta = 2.2 degrees
t = (2*v0 sin(theta))/a
=> t = 10^-7 s

Now I don't really know how I am supposed to get the second angle

Physics news on Phys.org
2*cos(theta)*sin(theta) = sin(2*theta). So if 2*theta can be above pi/2, there's a second solution, since the inverse sine function is double valued.

Ken G said:
2*cos(theta)*sin(theta) = sin(2*theta). So if 2*theta can be above pi/2, there's a second solution, since the inverse sine function is double valued.
I don't really know what you mean by "if 2*theta can be above pi/2"

Try using the mass and charge of a proton in your equations. You need to use
[tex] qE = F [/tex]
Then break it up to
[tex] qE = ma [/tex]
[tex] \frac{qE}m = a [/tex]
First solve for the time of the vertical component.
[tex] y = v_0t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]
[tex] 0 = v_0sin\theta t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]
[tex] -v_0sin\theta t = \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]
[tex] t = \frac{-v_0sin\theta}{\frac{1}{2}a} [/tex]
Then substitute time into horizontal component.
[tex] x = v_0t [/tex]
[tex] x = \frac{v_0cos\theta (-v_0sin\theta)}{\frac{1}{2}a} [/tex]
[tex] x = \frac{v_0cos\theta (2v_0sin\theta)}{-a} [/tex]
[tex] x = \frac{v_0^2 sin2\theta}{-a} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{-ax}{v_0^2} = sin2\theta [/tex]
Substitute
[tex] \frac{qEx}{mv_0^2} = 2sin\theta [/tex]
Solve for angle which will be your first angle, and then subtract it from 90 to get your other angle. Then I believe you can get time no problem.

GadgetStrutter said:
Try using the mass and charge of a proton in your equations. You need to use
[tex] qE = F [/tex]
Then break it up to
[tex] qE = ma [/tex]
[tex] \frac{qE}m = a [/tex]
First solve for the time of the vertical component.
[tex] y = v_0t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]
[tex] 0 = v_0sin\theta t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]
[tex] -v_0sin\theta t = \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]
[tex] t = \frac{-v_0sin\theta}{\frac{1}{2}a} [/tex]
Then substitute time into horizontal component.
[tex] x = v_0t [/tex]
[tex] x = \frac{v_0cos\theta (-v_0sin\theta)}{\frac{1}{2}a} [/tex]
[tex] x = \frac{v_0cos\theta (2v_0sin\theta)}{-a} [/tex]
[tex] x = \frac{v_0^2 sin2\theta}{-a} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{-ax}{v_0^2} = sin2\theta [/tex]
Substitute
[tex] \frac{qEx}{mv_0^2} = 2sin\theta [/tex]
Solve for angle which will be your first angle, and then subtract it from 90 to get your other angle. Then I believe you can get time no problem.
Why does subtracting the original angle from 90 degrees give me the other correct angle?

It surrounds the optimal angle of 45 degrees. They will hit the same spot, 10mm away. One will hit the spot because it'll be low to the ground and gravity will accelerate it downwards fast, while the other one will hit the spot because of the short wavelength of the parabola which equals a short distance across the x-axis even though the amplitude/height is larger.

GadgetStrutter said:
It surrounds the optimal angle of 45 degrees. They will hit the same spot, 10mm away. One will hit the spot because it'll be low to the ground and gravity will accelerate it downwards fast, while the other one will hit the spot because of the short wavelength of the parabola which equals a short distance across the x-axis even though the amplitude/height is larger.
I suppose that makes sense intuitively, but how can I prove that the other angle must be 90 minus the original angle in a mathematical way?

It's pretty much just like taking the vertical component and rotating the page around to make it the horizontal component, or in other words from sine to cosine.

Elvis 123456789 said:
I suppose that makes sense intuitively, but how can I prove that the other angle must be 90 minus the original angle in a mathematical way?
Your original solution seemed fine, but you did not solve for theta. To do so, use the identity I gave. Then solve for theta using an inverse sine function. But the inverse sine function has two angles that will give the same result, one theta is below pi/4 (which is 45 degrees if you are not using radians), the other above pi/4.

1. What is projectile motion in an electric field?

Projectile motion in an electric field is the movement of a charged particle in a uniform electric field. The particle follows a curved path due to the influence of the electric field, resulting in a combination of horizontal and vertical motion.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a charged particle in an electric field?

The trajectory of a charged particle in an electric field is affected by the strength of the electric field, the charge of the particle, the mass of the particle, and the initial velocity of the particle.

3. How does the direction of the electric field affect projectile motion?

The direction of the electric field determines the direction of the force exerted on the charged particle. This force can either increase or decrease the velocity of the particle, resulting in a change in the trajectory.

4. Can projectile motion in an electric field be used to calculate the charge or mass of a particle?

Yes, projectile motion in an electric field can be used to calculate the charge or mass of a particle by analyzing the trajectory of the particle and using equations such as the Lorentz force equation and the equations of motion.

5. What is the difference between projectile motion in an electric field and in a gravitational field?

The main difference between projectile motion in an electric field and in a gravitational field is the type of force acting on the projectile. In an electric field, the force is electrostatic, while in a gravitational field, the force is gravitational. Additionally, the acceleration due to gravity is constant, whereas the acceleration in an electric field depends on the strength of the field and the charge/mass of the particle.