Register to reply

Strenth of 1 Molar Sulfuric Acid Solution

by tycon69
Tags: acid, molar, solution, strenth, sulfuric
Share this thread:
tycon69
Oct16-08, 08:16 PM
P: 18
Me and some friends recently stumbled upon a 1M solution of Sulfuric Acid. It's in a small 30 ml bottle and has no distinct smell. After running a few amateur experiments (pouring it on stuff), we concluded that it is either extremely weak or simply water. I know from ap chemistry a few years ago that a 1M solution would contain a mole of H2SO4 per liter, or something of the sort, but I am not sure how strong this is. Is there any tests that i could do to tell if this is simply water or if someone diluted the mixture even further? Or is it extremely obvious from the explanation that it is water?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Four billion-year-old chemistry in cells today
A new approach to creating organic zeolites
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
symbolipoint
Oct16-08, 11:00 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,787
If pH is much higher than about 1, it might be less than 1 M sulfuric acid - exact pH value I'm not sure. If pH is higher than about 2, you can titrate to find the exact concentration (you can titrate the acid no matter the pH, really.). In case the pH is over 6, it is far too dilute to be close to 1 M.
Borek
Oct17-08, 02:55 AM
Admin
P: 23,363
Have you reacted it with baking soda?

tycon69
Nov24-08, 10:14 AM
P: 18
Strenth of 1 Molar Sulfuric Acid Solution

Yea I finally got some ph strips and found the ph to be 1 surprisingly. Why does it not corrode anything. Although i warned him not to, a crazy friend poured a large amount on himself and it did nothing.
Borek
Nov24-08, 10:45 AM
Admin
P: 23,363
pH 1 means it is about as concentrated as hydrochloric in your stomach. Not very high concentration of acid.
GCT
Nov24-08, 01:33 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,769
Quote Quote by tycon69 View Post
Yea I finally got some ph strips and found the ph to be 1 surprisingly. Why does it not corrode anything. Although i warned him not to, a crazy friend poured a large amount on himself and it did nothing.

At 1 M the solution would be irritating after a couple of minutes.

Register to reply