Inserting special characters

by LowlyPion
Tags: characters
LowlyPion
Oct29-08, 08:25 PM
HW Helper
P: 5,346
Is there any way to put the standard special characters in the message boxes?

Like a button bar that appears along the bottom of the message box - that with 1 click inserts a selected character at the cursor?

Latex is simply not suitable, not to mention clumsy, for inserting single characters in paragraphs. And yes I've seen some people carrying them around in the signature - but that is less than satisfactory to be cluttering up every message just for the occasional need.

If there is some feature I'm not yet aware of, I'm all eyes.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
Greg Bernhardt
Oct29-08, 08:31 PM
Admin
P: 8,534
Quote Quote by LowlyPion View Post
Latex is simply not suitable, not to mention clumsy, for inserting single characters in paragraphs. And yes I've seen some people carrying them around in the signature - but that is less than satisfactory to be cluttering up every message just for the occasional need.
Agreed, it is not encouraged to use Latex for single characters (we have over 600k images!). Redbelly has a list of some copy and paste characters in his blog
http://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=346

I think brainstorm ideas for easy use like smilies.
LowlyPion
Oct29-08, 11:31 PM
HW Helper
P: 5,346
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
Agreed, it is not encouraged to use Latex for single characters (we have over 600k images!). Redbelly has a list of some copy and paste characters in his blog

I think brainstorm ideas for easy use like smilies.
The smilies pull down is OK for infrequent emoting, but the pull down is not all that fast and in the homework the list of characters in that format may be a little long. That's why I think a register with a couple of rows of buttons more like a virtual keyboard that could be opened up and remain available might be more useful in writing series of equations in longer posts. Heck, just putting the characters in the border area nearby would allow selecting and dragging without any special widget interface and that would already be worlds easier.

As to the Latex pull down, it is useful for beginners, but I rarely use it because the partitions of symbols are not completely intuitive, at least to me. Plus the load time to load each partition is not all that fast.

It seems that a good portion of the need for special symbols could be relieved by a simpler interface for single characters.

Now I'm sure that there are plenty of other things that likely need resources behind the scenes. So I'm just throwing out the suggestion because ... well it would just make it easier for me, and who knows maybe others too.

Redbelly98
Oct30-08, 08:34 AM
Mentor
P: 11,986

Inserting special characters

Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
Redbelly has a list of some copy and paste characters in his blog
FYI, some of those characters are not viewable to everybody. To be safe, use the characters here:
http://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=347
tiny-tim
Oct31-08, 04:20 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,167
Hi LowlyPion!
Is there any way to put the standard special characters in the message boxes?

Like a button bar that appears along the bottom of the message box - that with 1 click inserts a selected character at the cursor?

Latex is simply not suitable, not to mention clumsy, for inserting single characters in paragraphs.
Heck, just putting the characters in the border area nearby would allow selecting and dragging without any special widget interface and that would already be worlds easier.
Wow, that's strong language!

Yes, I agree a beautiful border for copying-and-pasting.
And yes I've seen some people carrying them around in the signature - but that is less than satisfactory to be cluttering up every message just for the occasional need.

"some people"?

I nearly always de-activate my signature by un-ticking the box!

This has been suggested before see this thread, and, from last year:
Quote Quote by Hootenanny View Post
Firstly, apologies for reviving a dead thread. Secondly, how difficult would it be to add a menu for inserting HTML entities into posts, similar to the LaTeX menu recently added? When typing a response, it isn't always necessary to use the presentation power of LaTeX for the odd Greek symbol or equation, however it's a bit of a pain to look up the decimal codes for various HTML entities. A quick drop down menu (maybe of just the Greek symbols) would make life much easier for writing short equations or for those no familiar with LaTeX, perhaps it would also reduce the unnecessary load on the server.

Just a thought.

Register to reply