• Thread starter BvU
  • Start date
In summary, the drop-down menus at the top of the forum are too sticky and they stay down until you click somewhere else on the page. You can disable the spellchecker, or change to English, in the browser's internet options. You can also find helpful developer tools in the F12 menu of most browsers.
BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Now that I'm here: what's the place for forum software questions. Please migrate these to a suitable place:

[edit] post was beamed here by some good spirit. My first thread :smile: !​

1. The drop-down lists at the top are way too sticky: they drop down when you incidentally move the mouse over and stay down until you click somewhere in the top bar. Symmetric behavious would be for them to roll up when the mouse leaves again.

2. I still have that symbols (from the ##\Sigma## button) go to the top left of the editing window instead of where the cursor was. On several of my many computers the smileys go there too. Must be some setting on the computer ? But how to find & fix that ?

3. Some settings in my computer capitalize normal words like Always, Wikipedia and several more. Regional settings ? Other ideosyncracies ?
And where do I go to get rid of the red wiggly lines under about half the words ?

4. Nowadays display math gets centered. The TeX flavour used for PF doesn't recognize \hfil or \hskip. What's the incantation to do things like left adjusment, right adjustment. And, while at it, I seem to remember useful goodies like \eqalign . In short: where to find what works and what doesn't. Trial and error is so 22nd century; gimme a user manual any time :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
BvU said:
and stay down until you click somewhere in the top bar.

For me with Firefox on Vista, I can click anywhere else on the page to get rid of the pull-down menu... :smile:

Found it: it's clicking in the editor window that doesn't work. IE 11 and also Google Chrome 42...
But even the 'normal', behaviour is annoying.

BvU said:
Some settings in my computer capitalize normal words like Always, Wikipedia and several more. Regional settings ? Other ideosyncracies ?
And where do I go to get rid of the red wiggly lines under about half the words ?
You've got a spellchecker enabled in your browser. Disable it or change to English. (try right-clicking in the edit box and see if there's something like 'languages' there. I'm only familiar with Firefox)

Likes BvU
Hello BS, thanks for the hint. Found it in IE internet options programs add-ins (if I'm not mistranslating). And turned it off. Although it was called a spelling checker, switching it off also got rid of the capitalization. So I'm doubly (double ?) happy now !

Right-clicking in the edit box made me discover an MS F12 developer tool. Something to explore when time to kill.

BvU said:
Hello BS, thanks for the hint.

I'm not sure he's going to like that nickname... :wink:

Likes gracy and davenn
Well, I'm surprised it hadn't come up earlier.

ROFLMAO! :smile:

BvU said:
1. The drop-down lists at the top are way too sticky: they drop down when you incidentally move the mouse over and stay down until you click somewhere in the top bar. Symmetric behavious would be for them to roll up when the mouse leaves again.
BvU said:
You aren't alone, read this thread, or jump to the end. It's not just you.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/stickyness-of-drop-down-menus.799464/

Likes BvU
BvU said:
Right-clicking in the edit box made me discover an MS F12 developer tool. Something to explore when time to kill.
The F12 developer tools are common to most browsers, including Chrome and Firefox, and as you found, IE. They're very helpful if you do any sort of web development, where a web page talks to another web page using, for example HTTP.

Likes BvU
Bandersnatch said:
Well, I'm surprised it hadn't come up earlier.
All in good spirit. I checked the profile info and figured the snatch could bear this kind of corniness. Still have to read AiW, seems to be indispensable to talk the talk.

A non-native english speaker - doing his best

Likes Bandersnatch
I don't know that dictionary. But if it's genuine, your proposal doesn't help:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bander

However, snatch is even (at the bottom of the list) in the brittanica. At least bander isn't.
Such a rich language :rolleyes:

What about frumious ? Snapper ? Grabber ? Or just "quick one" ? (you can see I made an effort !)

Oh boy, is this an open forum ? Raghav, get back to your work !

(great minds think alike ?)

Likes Raghav Gupta
:oldlaugh: After you two, now I don't even care are the stickyness.

1. What is forum software?

Forum software is a type of computer program that allows users to interact with each other through discussion boards or online forums. It typically includes features such as user registration, thread creation, and post moderation.

2. How does forum software work?

Forum software works by storing and organizing user-generated content, such as posts and threads, in a database. Users can then access this content through a web interface and interact with each other by posting, replying, and liking content.

3. What are the benefits of using forum software?

There are several benefits to using forum software, including the ability to facilitate communication and collaboration among a large number of users, provide a centralized location for discussions and information sharing, and allow for easy moderation and management of user-generated content.

4. What are some popular forum software options?

Some popular forum software options include phpBB, vBulletin, XenForo, and Discourse. Each of these options has its own unique features and capabilities, so it is important to research and choose the one that best fits your needs.

5. Can forum software be customized?

Yes, forum software can often be customized to fit the specific needs and preferences of a user or organization. This can include changing the layout and design, adding custom features or integrations, and setting specific user permissions and moderation settings.