Register to reply

Elastic collision 2 dimension unequal masses not at rest

by grrrphysics
Tags: elastic, elastic collision, unequal mass
Share this thread:
grrrphysics
Nov9-08, 04:11 PM
P: 1
Please help! i know how to do a elastic collisions in 1 dimension, but the 2D is too confusing...here is my problem:

You have a blue ball with a mass of 1.5 kg moving with a speed of 4.5 m/s in a direction below the positive x-axis. You have a red ball with a mass of 3.6 kg moving with a speed of 2.7 m/s in a direction to the left of the negative y-axis. When the balls collide, find the final velocity (magnitude and direction) for each of the two balls.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Jennifer001
Nov9-08, 06:15 PM
P: 22
Quote Quote by grrrphysics View Post
Please help! i know how to do a elastic collisions in 1 dimension, but the 2D is too confusing...here is my problem:

You have a blue ball with a mass of 1.5 kg moving with a speed of 4.5 m/s in a direction below the positive x-axis. You have a red ball with a mass of 3.6 kg moving with a speed of 2.7 m/s in a direction to the left of the negative y-axis. When the balls collide, find the final velocity (magnitude and direction) for each of the two balls.
simple way to solve this is by using galilean transformation equations and turn one of the balls into a stationary one and just use the 1D formulas
asleight
Nov9-08, 06:20 PM
P: 154
Quote Quote by grrrphysics View Post

Conservation of momentum holds in both the x- and y-directions.

Register to reply