Elastic collision with pendulum

In summary: This is in line with the momentum being conserved as the final velocity of the system is 0. In summary, a steel ball of mass 0.890 kg is released from a horizontal cord and collides with a 2.50 kg steel block initially at rest on a frictionless surface. The collision is elastic and at the bottom of its path, the ball strikes the block. Using the formula for velocity, the speed of the ball just before the collision is 2.873 m/s. After the collision, the speed of the block is found to be 1.64 m/s, and the speed of the ball is -1.49 m/s. This is consistent with the conservation of momentum, where the final velocity
Jrlinton

Homework Statement

A steel ball of mass 0.890 kg is fastened to a cord that is 50.0 cm long and fixed at the far end. The ball is then released when the cord is horizontal, as shown in the figure. At the bottom of its path, the ball strikes a 2.50 kg steel block initially at rest on a frictionless surface. The collision is elastic. Find (a) the speed of the ball and (b) the speed of the block, both just after the collision.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So first found the velocity of the ball just before it collided with the block:
V=(2*g*L*(1-cosΘ))^0.5
V=(2*9.81*0.5*(1-cos45))^0.5
V=2.873 m/s

So then I used that to find the velocity of the block using elastic collision formulas:
V2f= (2*m1)/(m1+m2)*V1i
= (2*0.89)/(0.89+2.5)*2.873
=1.51 m/s

And then for the velocity of the ball following the collision:
V1f=(m1-m2)/(m1+m2)*V1i
=(0.89-2.5)/(0.89+2.5) * 2.873
=-1.37 m/s

I used these solutions (the absolute value of the vel of the ball as it asked for speed) and that was incorrect.
Now I did try and double check myself and found that with these numbers momentum is conserved so what am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked your attempt at a solution in any detail but a Cos(45) term seems odd given the rope starts horizontal and the collision is at the bottom?

You mention a figure but none provided.

Jrlinton said:
The ball is then released when the cord is horizontal, as shown in the figure.
[...]
V=(2*g*L*(1-cosΘ))^0.5
V=(2*9.81*0.5*(1-cos45))^0.5
Without seeing the drawing, it is hard to be sure, but I see no 45 degree angle in the problem description.

Edit: Drat you, speedy @CWatters!

Youre right. it should've been 90 degrees as it was raised to the horizontal. I am not sure why I used 45. Other than that the method should hold, no?

So using the correct Θ of 90 degrees I get the final velocity of the block to be 1.64 m/s and that of the ball to be -1.49 m/s.

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total energy of the objects before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision. In other words, there is no loss of energy during an elastic collision.

2. How does a pendulum behave during an elastic collision?

During an elastic collision, a pendulum will behave similarly to any other object. It will follow the laws of conservation of momentum and energy, and the total kinetic energy of the system will remain constant.

3. What factors affect the outcome of an elastic collision with a pendulum?

The outcome of an elastic collision with a pendulum can be affected by various factors, such as the mass and velocity of the pendulum, the angle at which it strikes the object, and the elasticity of the objects involved. The surface on which the collision occurs can also play a role in the outcome.

4. How is the velocity of the pendulum affected by an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the velocity of the pendulum will change according to the laws of conservation of momentum and energy. If the pendulum collides with a stationary object, its velocity will decrease after the collision. If the pendulum collides with a moving object, its velocity may either increase or decrease, depending on the relative velocities of the two objects.

5. Can an elastic collision with a pendulum ever result in a loss of energy?

No, an elastic collision by definition does not involve any loss of energy. The total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision will always be the same. However, some of the energy may be converted into other forms, such as sound or heat, but the total energy will remain constant.