Elastic collision - Trigonometry equations

In summary, using this technique, you can solve for each angle in turn and get a simplified equation.
Dandi Froind

Homework Statement

A billiard ball moves at a speed of 4.00m/s and collides elastically with an identical stationary ball. As a result, the stationary ball flies away at a speed of 1.69m/s, as shown in Figure A2.12. Determine:
  1. the final speed and direction of the incoming ball after the collision.
  2. the direction of the stationary ball after the collision.

Homework Equations

Conservation of Energy and momentum:
E before = E after
Σpx=0
Σpy=0

The Attempt at a Solution

As you can see, I have 2 equations with 2 angles that I don't know.
However, I couldn't find the right way to solve it due to trigonometry complexity.
I am sure that taking into account the fact that (sin(theta))^2 +(cos(theta))^2 = 1 would help in some way.
https://image.ibb.co/gv6YVw/Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 2,835
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi again,

As long as I can see, you use the right method. You are right, the equation sin2θ1+cos2θ1=1 can help you.

You must think how you can form this (sin2θ1+cos2θ1). Try to "play" with these two equations. (Hint: You will end up solving an equation with only one of the two angles firstly).

Dandi Froind said:

Homework Statement

A billiard ball moves at a speed of 4.00m/s and collides elastically with an identical stationary ball. As a result, the stationary ball flies away at a speed of 1.69m/s, as shown in Figure A2.12. Determine:

Homework Equations

E before = E after
Σpx=0
Σpy=0

However, I couldn't find the right way to solve it due to trigonometry complexity.
I am sure that taking into account the fact that (sin(theta))^2 +(cos(theta))^2 = 1 would help in some way.
Yes, it would, Arrange the momentum equations in the form sin(θ2)=... cos(θ2)=...
Square them and add.

Thank you very much.
It was very helpful.

Dandi Froind said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

E before = E after
Σpx=0
Σpy=0

https://image.ibb.co/gv6YVw/Capture.jpg
View attachment 214226

If you take the two resultant momentum vectors after the collision and add them (i.e. put them tip to tail with each other), then, by conservation of momentum, you have the initial momentum vector.

This gives you a triangle where you know the lengths of all three sides. You could, therefore, use the cosine rule to get a simpler equation for each angle separately.

You could try this technique, as I find it a simpler method for collision problems.

1. How do you calculate the final velocities in an elastic collision using trigonometry?

In an elastic collision, the final velocities can be calculated using the following equations:

vf1 = [(m1-m2)*v1*cos(theta1) + 2m2*v2*cos(theta2)] / (m1+m2)

vf2 = [(m2-m1)*v2*cos(theta2) + 2m1*v1*cos(theta1)] / (m1+m2)

where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, v1 and v2 are the initial velocities, and theta1 and theta2 are the angles of their respective velocities with the x-axis.

2. What is an elastic collision and how does it differ from an inelastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy and total momentum before and after the collision are the same. In contrast, an inelastic collision is a type of collision where kinetic energy is not conserved, and some of the energy is lost in the form of heat or sound.

3. How can you determine the angle of deflection in an elastic collision?

The angle of deflection, also known as the scattering angle, can be determined using the following formula:

theta = arctan((m1*sin(theta1)+m2*sin(theta2)) / (m1*cos(theta1)+m2*cos(theta2)))

where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects and theta1 and theta2 are the angles of their respective velocities with the x-axis.

4. Can you use trigonometry to calculate the final velocities in a two-dimensional elastic collision?

Yes, trigonometry can be used to calculate the final velocities in two-dimensional elastic collisions, as long as the initial velocities and angles of the objects are known. The equations for calculating the final velocities in a two-dimensional elastic collision are different from those in a one-dimensional collision, but they still involve trigonometric functions.

5. What are some real-life examples of elastic collisions?

Some real-life examples of elastic collisions include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, two cars colliding and bouncing off each other, and a tennis ball being hit by a racket. In all of these cases, the objects involved are able to retain their shape and no energy is lost in the collision.