LaTeX showing old images in preview

by Jonathan Scott
Tags: images, latex, preview, showing
Jonathan Scott
Nov21-08, 10:54 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,128
I've been trying to use LaTeX in a response, but the preview keeps showing images of different LaTeX expressions which I used in previous responses. This happens even for the most trivial case such as just a single letter X, both in ITEX and TEX tags. Is there something I need to do to reset it in some way?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
D H
Nov21-08, 11:09 AM
Mentor
P: 14,432
[tex]6 \,\frac{Gm}{c^2a(1-e^2)}[/tex]

You will get an old image if your LaTeX code is invalid. For example, with [tex]\frac {GmM{r^2}[/tex]

I see [itex]r^2[/itex]. You will see

[tex]\frac{GmM{r^2}[/tex]

Edit:
Hmmm.

The "LaTeX image generation failed" is being shown for a valid LaTeX expression and the generated LaTeX image for the invalid expression is the image corresponding to the valid expresion. Weird.
Redbelly98
Nov21-08, 03:37 PM
Mentor
P: 11,984
I will echo Jonathon's observation. It's frustrating when you're trying to give accurate information, and equations won't display properly. As a result I avoid using LaTex if at all possible. Luckily there are some symbols available for cutting-and-pasting, but they're not as versatile as LaTex.

Kurdt
Nov21-08, 03:49 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,975

LaTeX showing old images in preview

I think its a cache issue in the preview screen. This has been known about for a while. If you refresh each time you preview the problem should go away. Make sure you copy the contents of your post just in case something happens in the refresh.
Redbelly98
Nov21-08, 04:29 PM
Mentor
I'm pretty sure I tried a screen refresh the last time this happened to me (at least 2 weeks ago), and it didn't help. But enough time has passed that I'm not 100% sure. I'll try to remember trying this next time it happens.
Ed Aboud
Nov23-08, 09:02 AM
P: 201
Whats the difference between TEX and ITEX anyway?
Kurdt
Nov23-08, 09:04 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
itex is inline latex so if you want an equation in a sentence it will not skew the lines of text.
Ed Aboud
Nov23-08, 09:07 AM
P: 201
Oh right.
Redbelly98
Nov30-08, 06:31 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Kurdt View Post
I think its a cache issue in the preview screen. This has been known about for a while. If you refresh each time you preview the problem should go away. Make sure you copy the contents of your post just in case something happens in the refresh.
I just made a post with Latex and found that:
  • Refreshing in preview mode does not get rid of the old LaTex image
  • Refreshing after actually posting does get rid of the old image and displays the correct one.

At least this is the case in Firefox, the browser that I use.

So this puts us in the somewhat awkward position of having to post, where others can view, before we are finished editing. I guess we can always put "WORK IN PROGRESS, DO NOT RESPOND (YET)" at the top of a post until it is really in its final form.
Kurdt
Nov30-08, 06:33 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Oh well. That theory is shot down then.
Redbelly98
Nov30-08, 07:03 PM
Mentor
Not totally shot down. At least we have some way of seeing what should be there, even if it's not perfect.
Fredrik
Dec1-08, 07:30 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 8,987
I'm using Firefox too, and I don't have a problem with previews. Sometimes the wrong image shows up when I view what I just posted, but a refresh always takes care of that.

Edit: I got an old image in the preview today. I had already previewed the page and it looked fine except that I had written e(ipx) instead of e^{ipx}. So I changed it and previewed again. The old image was still there. Refresh didn't help. Then I noticed that I had actually written e^{ipx). So I replaced the ) with a } and previewed again. This time it looked the way I intended it to. No refresh needed.

Register to reply