LaTeX showing old images in preview

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Jonathan Scott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Images Latex
In summary, when you post, refreshing the preview seems to take care of the old image, but if you preview and make a mistake, the old image will still be there.
Jonathan Scott
Gold Member
I've been trying to use LaTeX in a response, but the preview keeps showing images of different LaTeX expressions which I used in previous responses. This happens even for the most trivial case such as just a single letter X, both in ITEX and TEX tags. Is there something I need to do to reset it in some way?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]6 \,\frac{Gm}{c^2a(1-e^2)}[/tex]

You will get an old image if your LaTeX code is invalid. For example, with [noparse][tex]\frac {GmM{r^2}[/tex][/noparse]

I see [itex]r^2[/itex]. You will see

[tex]\frac{GmM{r^2}[/tex]
Edit:
Hmmm.

The "LaTeX image generation failed" is being shown for a valid LaTeX expression and the generated LaTeX image for the invalid expression is the image corresponding to the valid expresion. Weird.

I will echo Jonathon's observation. It's frustrating when you're trying to give accurate information, and equations won't display properly. As a result I avoid using LaTex if at all possible. Luckily there are some https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=347" , but they're not as versatile as LaTex.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its a cache issue in the preview screen. This has been known about for a while. If you refresh each time you preview the problem should go away. Make sure you copy the contents of your post just in case something happens in the refresh.

I'm pretty sure I tried a screen refresh the last time this happened to me (at least 2 weeks ago), and it didn't help. But enough time has passed that I'm not 100% sure. I'll try to remember trying this next time it happens.

Whats the difference between TEX and ITEX anyway?

itex is inline latex so if you want an equation in a sentence it will not skew the lines of text.

Oh right.

Kurdt said:
I think its a cache issue in the preview screen. This has been known about for a while. If you refresh each time you preview the problem should go away. Make sure you copy the contents of your post just in case something happens in the refresh.

I just made a post with Latex and found that:
  • Refreshing in preview mode does not get rid of the old LaTex image
  • Refreshing after actually posting does get rid of the old image and displays the correct one.

At least this is the case in Firefox, the browser that I use.

So this puts us in the somewhat awkward position of having to post, where others can view, before we are finished editing. I guess we can always put "WORK IN PROGRESS, DO NOT RESPOND (YET)" at the top of a post until it is really in its final form.

Oh well. That theory is shot down then.

Not totally shot down. At least we have some way of seeing what should be there, even if it's not perfect.

I'm using Firefox too, and I don't have a problem with previews. Sometimes the wrong image shows up when I view what I just posted, but a refresh always takes care of that.

Edit: I got an old image in the preview today. I had already previewed the page and it looked fine except that I had written e(ipx) instead of e^{ipx}. So I changed it and previewed again. The old image was still there. Refresh didn't help. Then I noticed that I had actually written e^{ipx). So I replaced the ) with a } and previewed again. This time it looked the way I intended it to. No refresh needed.

Last edited:

What is LaTeX?

LaTeX is a typesetting system commonly used for creating scientific and technical documents. It allows for precise formatting and mathematical typesetting.

Why are old images appearing in the preview of my LaTeX document?

This could be due to a few reasons. It could be that the images are not being updated properly when changes are made to them. It could also be that the document is being compiled with an older version of the image files.

How can I fix the issue of old images appearing in the preview?

First, try updating all image files to ensure they are the most recent versions. If that does not work, try recompiling the document with the latest version of LaTeX. If the problem persists, check for any errors in the code or file paths.

Is there a way to prevent old images from showing up in the preview?

To prevent old images from appearing in the preview, make sure to always update the images before compiling the document. Additionally, using a version control system can help keep track of changes and prevent outdated images from being used.

Are there any other common issues that could cause old images to appear in the preview?

Yes, there are a few other potential causes. It could be an issue with the image file format, or there could be conflicts with packages or settings in the LaTeX document. It is also possible that there is a bug in the LaTeX software itself. If the issue persists, it may be helpful to seek assistance from the LaTeX community or consult the documentation for the specific software being used.