Some help with LaTeX and Preview on this forum please

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Old Person
  • Start date
In summary, the user is seeking help for using LaTeX on the forum. They have found a help article but it is not working for them. They have tried using different delimiters but still cannot get the preview to work. Another user suggests refreshing the page and the original user confirms that this workaround worked for them. They also mention an old bug that can cause issues with equations.
Old Person
Hi.

I'm trying to get some mathematics on this forum. I've found this help article: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/
but.... it doesn't seem to working.

In that article the delimiters for a block of LaTeX are supposed to be hash tags or dollar symbols for example ## X^2 = 3 ## or $$ X^2 = 3 $$ and supposedly I can see the final display by clicking the preview button. Sadly, I don't - I just see the thing with the hash or dollar symbols. I've also tried [tex] x^2 = 3 [/tex] since those start and end tags are used in some other forums. That didn't work either.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ummm... for some reason, although it didn't work in the preview, it looks ok when posted.
is the preview feature broken? Is there no way to check the tex before posting?

You have to update (F5) the page sometimes to give the interpreter a kick.

Likes Old Person
ok. Thank you. I will try that.

Likes berkeman
Old Person said:
Ummm... for some reason, although it didn't work in the preview, it looks ok when posted.
is the preview feature broken? Is there no way to check the tex before posting?
This is an old bug. See here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/latex-help.1046932/post-6816969

This can seriously mess up your equations if you write numerous equations and then refresh the page. The LaTeX will be rendered as symbols, and you will be left to cry, without an option to undo.

The workaround is to first write some simple LaTeX, like some simple Greek letters, and refresh the page. This will load the MathJax resource and LaTeX will start rendering. Now you may start writing what you want, and Preview will work well.

• Informative
Likes Old Person, topsquark, berkeman and 1 other person

1. How can I include images in my LaTeX document using Preview?

To include images in your LaTeX document using Preview, you can use the \includegraphics command and specify the image file name and location. Make sure to use the \usepackage{graphicx} package in the preamble of your document.

2. How do I change the font style and size in LaTeX using Preview?

To change the font style and size in LaTeX using Preview, you can use the \usepackage{fontspec} package and specify the font and size using the \setmainfont command in the preamble of your document.

3. Is it possible to create tables in LaTeX using Preview?

Yes, it is possible to create tables in LaTeX using Preview. You can use the tabular environment and specify the number of columns, alignment, and content of each cell. You can also use the \hline command to create horizontal lines in your table.

4. How can I add mathematical equations in my LaTeX document using Preview?

To add mathematical equations in your LaTeX document using Preview, you can use the equation environment and specify the equation using mathematical symbols and commands. You can also use the \[ and \] delimiters to create a display-style equation.

5. Can I create a bibliography in my LaTeX document using Preview?

Yes, you can create a bibliography in your LaTeX document using Preview. You can use the bibtex or biber package to manage your bibliography and use the \cite command to cite your sources in the text. Make sure to specify the bibliography style using the \bibliographystyle command and include the \bibliography command in your document.