Recognising $ as begin/end delimiter for in-line latex

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter andrewkirk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the delimiter for in-line math that is recognised by most LaTeX engines is $ or \, but the delimiter recognised by the physicsforums engine is double-# and itex or tex inside square brackets.
andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
A minor, but recurring, obstacle with LaTeX on physicsforums is that it does not recognise either of the usual delimiters for in-line math, which are the single dollar symbol and the \( ... \) combination. The latex engines I use on my computers, which are MiKTeX on Windows, MacTex on Mac and (something else, I forget which) on Linux, use those symbols. Conversely, the physicsforums delimiters of double-# and itex or tex inside square brackets are not recognised by my Tex engines and, as far as I can tell, are not part of standard LaTeX.

If I am writing anything complicated, it's much easier to draft it up on my own computer's TeX editor and then copy it to a post. Currently however, I need to do a last step of changing every single-$ symbol to a double-#, which is complicated by the existence of double dollars for display math.

I was wondering whether it would be difficult to get the physicsforums engine to recognise a delimiter for in-line math that is also recognised by most LaTeX engines, such as $ or \(.

Alternatively, has anybody written a plugin or script that converts standard latex to physicforums latex? It would need to first convert all double-$ to something else like %%, then convert all single-$ symbols to double-#, then convert all %% back to double-$. Ideally there would be a reverse converter too, so that if one wants to do major surgery on a maths piece on physicsforums, they could convert it to standard latex, do the surgery offline then convert it back.

thanks

Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
andrewkirk said:
I was wondering whether it would be difficult to get the physicsforums engine to recognise a delimiter for in-line math that is also recognised by most LaTeX engines, such as $ or \(.

I think the main problem with the single $ is that it's also used as a currency symbol, especially in the US. However, it seems to me that \( and \) would be a reasonable alternative. In fact the MathJax documentation uses them as an example in the section on configuring the tex2jax processor:

https://docs.mathjax.org/en/v2.5-latest/options/tex2jax.html

@Greg Bernhardt is the one who's responsible for this stuff, so let's see what he says.

andrewkirk said:
Alternatively, has anybody written a plugin or script that converts standard latex to physicforums latex? It would need to first convert all double-$ to something else like %%, then convert all single-$ symbols to double-#, then convert all %% back to double-$. Ideally there would be a reverse converter too, so that if one wants to do major surgery on a maths piece on physicsforums, they could convert it to standard latex, do the surgery offline then convert it back.
Replace ([^$])$([^$]) by $1##$2 using regex, and you don't have to mask double dollar signs. Every proper text editor can do that.

Likes andrewkirk
I'm having difficulty finding what the PF delimiters are for latex. Every time I try, I get the latex source instead of the rendering.

Double # for inline tex, double $ for individual formulas. This ##\sqrt{a^2+b^2}## is inline, and this is not: $$\sqrt{a^2+b^2}$$
Quote my post to see the source code.

Alternatively, use [itex]formula[/itex] and [tex]formula[/tex]

It will show the source code if there is a parsing error, usually from unrecognized control sequences or mismatched brackets.

Likes anorlunda

1. What is the purpose of using $ as begin/end delimiter for in-line LaTeX?

The $ symbol is used to indicate the beginning and end of a math equation or formula in in-line LaTeX. This allows for the easy incorporation of mathematical expressions into text without having to use a separate environment.

2. Can I use other symbols as delimiters for in-line LaTeX?

Yes, there are other symbols that can be used as delimiters for in-line LaTeX such as \( and \). However, $ is the most commonly used and recognized delimiter.

3. How do I know when to use single or double $ delimiters?

Single $ delimiters should be used for in-line equations or formulas that are part of a sentence or paragraph. Double $ delimiters should be used for standalone equations or formulas that are separated from the rest of the text.

4. Is there a limit to the number of $ delimiters I can use in a single equation or formula?

No, there is no limit to the number of $ delimiters that can be used in a single equation or formula. However, it is important to use an equal number of delimiters at the beginning and end to avoid errors in the code.

5. Can I use $ delimiters for non-mathematical text in in-line LaTeX?

No, $ delimiters should only be used for mathematical expressions in in-line LaTeX. For regular text, you should use the appropriate text formatting commands such as \textit{} for italics or \textbf{} for bold.