frankcastle
Dec18-08, 09:22 AM
P: 10
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

write the solutions to the S.E in regions x<o and x between o and a

[IMG]C:\Users\karthik\Desktop[/IMG]

2. Relevant equations

I believe psi(x)= e^ikx+Re^-ikx in x<0
and psi(x)=Ae^iqx+Be^-iqx for x b/w o and a.

3. The attempt at a solution
My question is, since there is complete reflection occuring at x=a, can A=B in region x b/w 0 and a? If so, there will be destructive interference in the region, giving R=1, which is what we are asked to prove in the question. Is this approach of equating coefficients of wave traveling in +-x directions in this region applicable?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
buffordboy23
Dec18-08, 12:43 PM
P: 540
You haven't defined your potential over the domain of x. My guess based on the info given is that the potential V(x) = infinity for regions less than or equal to x = 0 and greater than or equal to x = a.

To solve for the equations, you must impart the boundary conditions on the general solution for the wave function. So, psi(x) must vanish at x = 0 and x = a. For example, suppose that psi(x) = Asin(kx) + Bcos(kx) is a general solution to the time-independent schrodinger equation. Now, for the potential I expressed in the first paragraph, we must have psi(x) = 0 at x = 0 and x = a. When x = 0, psi(x = 0) = B; therefore choose B = 0, and now psi(x) = Asin(kx). Now fit the wavefunction to x = a: psi(x=a) = 0 = Asin(ka). Under what conditions for k (the angular wavenumber) will the sine term vanish?

You can apply this idea to your solutions. As a check, verify that your solution satisfies the time-independent schrodinger equation.

Register to reply