Register to reply

Same person, doing same thing?

by Absolution
Tags: person, thing
Share this thread:
Absolution
Dec29-08, 10:37 PM
P: 4
I once heard somewhere that due to some physics theory, there is someone out there in the universe doing exactly the same thing as you and looking exactly the same as you. I cant remember the details though... Anyone heard of this before and can clarify?

I don't think it seems plausible though..
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
Crazy Tosser
Dec29-08, 11:27 PM
P: 175
Mathematically, if the universe is infinite, that would have to be the case, because the probability of there being somebody somewhere in the infinite universe doing the same thing would be 1. However, if the big-bang theory is correct, our universe is not infinite, so the probability of that happening would drop dramatically - so close to zero we could say for sure it's not the case.
moe darklight
Dec30-08, 03:58 AM
P: 411
even if the universe is infinite, why can't there be an infinite number of possible combinations for "things"?

CRGreathouse
Dec30-08, 08:49 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 3,684
Same person, doing same thing?

Quote Quote by moe darklight View Post
even if the universe is infinite, why can't there be an infinite number of possible combinations for "things"?
Then it should be possible to show the existence (with probability 1) of a person 'arbitrarily similar' to you by any reasonable metric.
Evo
Dec30-08, 08:53 AM
Mentor
P: 26,552
Quote Quote by Absolution View Post
I once heard somewhere that due to some physics theory, there is someone out there in the universe doing exactly the same thing as you and looking exactly the same as you. I cant remember the details though... Anyone heard of this before and can clarify?

I don't think it seems plausible though..
You're thinking of MWI (Many-Worlds Interpretation). Here are two links you can read about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qm-manyworlds/
Absolution
Jan1-09, 12:53 AM
P: 4
Thanks Evo!

I don't really seem to understand it though haha... But i guess its something to do with probability too?

Happy New Year anyway!

Register to reply