The nostalgic popular physics book that I can't remember its name

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to find a book they once borrowed from a library about relativity, the big bang, and the history of modern physics. The book was written in a comic-strip style with illustrations and also included some formulas. After searching online and not finding anything, the person considered going back to the library but was unsure if the book would still be there. Eventually, they were able to find the book, "Introducing Stephen Hawking: Hoyle and Big Bang" by J.P. McEvoy and illustrated by Oscar Zarate.
MerryM
Hi there

I am looking for this very interesting book that I once (about 14 years ago) borrowed from some library, but I can't remember the title or author.

It was about relativity, the big bang, and the history of modern physics (I guess). But the catch is, it had a tone of interesting comic-strip style pictures.

I vaguely remember the whole thing, but there are some parts that I clearly remember. for example, there was a panel in which a physicist, holding one ( or two) cup of coffee, was telling his coworker:" we know the heat goes from hot coffee to the cold one.", and in the next panel, there was a black-hole in front of these two physicists, and the one with coffee(s) was dumping the coffee(s) into the black-hole while asking: "what happens in there?"

Or, as I remember, there was this other part about big-bang with the picture of a dancer jumping out of a cake somewhere in the chapter.

I appreciate it if someone could name the book.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've been on the internet for a while, and didn't find anything. What about going again to that library and seek?

Likes MerryM and Keith_McClary
Thanks.

Actually, going back to the library is one of the things on my "to do" list, but after all these years, the book might be lost, or someone might have borrowed it or ... so I thought someone here might be able to help me.

Likes berkeman and MerryM
atyy said:
This is probably not it, as it is quite recent, but just in case:
https://thedialoguesbook.com/

Thanks, but this is not the book.
It was something like "Mysteries of the Quantum Universe" by Burniat and Thibault Damour in style. But it also had some text detailing the physics of relativity and ...

"Black Holes and Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy" by Kip Thorne? I've misplaced my copy, but it has hand-sketched illustrations. I seem to recall @PeterDonis has the book - if my memory's not at fault, maybe he can confirm the particular cartoon you mention.

Likes MerryM
Ibix said:
"Black Holes and Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy" by Kip Thorne? I've misplaced my copy, but it has hand-sketched illustrations. I seem to recall @PeterDonis has the book - if my memory's not at fault, maybe he can confirm the particular cartoon you mention.

Great book, thanks for bringing it up, but that's not the one I am looking for.
I think mine can be described as a dumber version of what you have suggested. also, I clearly remember mine didn't shy away from writing down some formulas. ( At this point, I think maybe I have idolized some book to such a degree that I might have projected some of my ideas and preferences into it? sorry if that's the case (but I highly doubt it))

Could it be George Gamow's "One, Two, Three . . . Infinity"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Two_Three..._Infinity

1602890000720.png

Likes MerryM
From Introducing Stephen Hawking: Hoyle and big bang

©2005 by J.P. McEvoy. Illustrations by Oscar Zarate.
Icon Books UK and Totem Books USA.
1602890605558.png

Likes atyy and MerryM
sysprog said:
From Introducing Stephen Hawking: Hoyle and big bang

©2005 by J.P. McEvoy. Illustrations by Oscar Zarate.
Icon Books UK and Totem Books USA.

That's the one! Thank you very much! :)

Likes atyy and sysprog

1. What is the title of the nostalgic popular physics book?

The title of the book is "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking.

2. Who is the author of the book?

The author of the book is Stephen Hawking, a renowned physicist and cosmologist.

3. When was the book first published?

The book was first published in 1988.

4. What topics does the book cover?

The book covers various topics in physics and cosmology, such as the Big Bang theory, black holes, time travel, and the origins of the universe.

5. Is the book still relevant today?

Yes, the book is still relevant today as it provides a basic understanding of complex scientific concepts and theories. However, some of the information may be outdated due to advancements in the field of physics.