Register to reply

Prove a limit by the limit theory

by kesun
Tags: calculus, limit, prove, sequence, theory
Share this thread:
kesun
Mar5-09, 05:10 PM
P: 37
Apply the limit definition to prove [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{n^{2}-1}{2n^{2}+3}=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

(question stated above)

I started by writing it as |f(n) - 1/2| and attempted to reduce it, but I don't think it's reducible so I am not able to simplify it..

By looking at it further, it stuck me because I don't know where to go with this exactly. I know I am supposed to come up with this arbitrary [tex]\epsilon[/tex] then somehow prove that |f(n) - 1/2| < [tex]\epsilon[/tex]. I need to know what are the exact steps to prove stuff like this...
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
phreak
Mar5-09, 05:39 PM
P: 149
So we choose arbitrary [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex]. This means that [tex]\epsilon[/tex] can be ANYTHING positive. Now, given this [tex]\epsilon[/tex], we want to find an [tex]N \in \mathbb{N}[/tex] such that for all [tex]n>N,\, |f(n)-1/2|<\epsilon[/tex], that is, [tex]|\frac{n^2-1}{2n^2+3}-1/2|<\epsilon.[/tex] Now, fortunately for us, our function is monotone increasing, so all we have to find is a number N satisfying [tex]\frac{N^2-1}{2N^2+3} > 1/2-\epsilon[/tex]. I think you can do the rest. (You also need to prove that [tex]1/2 > \frac{n^2-1}{2n^2+3}[/tex] for all n for this proof to work.)

The concept of the proof is as follows. Since [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex] can be made as small as we want, for ANY given small number, we can find a number N so high that for every number greater than N, the difference between 1/2 and the value of the function is smaller than the small number [tex]\epsilon[/tex]. This just says that as N gets increasingly higher, the value of the function gets increasingly close to 1/2.
kesun
Mar5-09, 07:02 PM
P: 37
Quote Quote by phreak View Post
So we choose arbitrary [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex]. This means that [tex]\epsilon[/tex] can be ANYTHING positive. Now, given this [tex]\epsilon[/tex], we want to find an [tex]N \in \mathbb{N}[/tex] such that for all [tex]n>N,\, |f(n)-1/2|<\epsilon[/tex], that is, [tex]|\frac{n^2-1}{2n^2+3}-1/2|<\epsilon.[/tex] Now, fortunately for us, our function is monotone increasing, so all we have to find is a number N satisfying [tex]\frac{N^2-1}{2N^2+3} > 1/2-\epsilon[/tex]. I think you can do the rest. (You also need to prove that [tex]1/2 > \frac{n^2-1}{2n^2+3}[/tex] for all n for this proof to work.)

The concept of the proof is as follows. Since [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex] can be made as small as we want, for ANY given small number, we can find a number N so high that for every number greater than N, the difference between 1/2 and the value of the function is smaller than the small number [tex]\epsilon[/tex]. This just says that as N gets increasingly higher, the value of the function gets increasingly close to 1/2.
I get what you have said and proved that [tex]1/2 > \frac{n^2-1}{2n^2+3}[/tex] for all n, but I am still not very sure when you said to find an N, do you mean any arbitrary N or is it found by some sophistic method? I am not very getting used to this method of proving limit yet, so I might need a bit more details and a few key steps.. :)

Register to reply