Lambda96
Homework Statement
See post
Relevant Equations
none
Hi

I have to prove the following three tasks

Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-23 um 16.38.49.png

I now wanted to prove three tasks with a direct proof, e.g. for task a)$$\sqrt[n]{n} = n^{\frac{1}{n}}= e^{ln(n^{\frac{1}{n}})}=e^{\frac{1}{n}ln(n)}$$
$$\displaystyle{\lim_{n \to \infty}} \sqrt[n]{n}= \displaystyle{\lim_{n \to \infty}} e^{\frac{1}{n}ln(n)}$$

I would now argue as follows that x tends to infinity faster than the logarithm and therefore ##\frac{1}{n}## tends to zero and therefore ##e^0=1##.

Would this be a valid proof for task a?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately my calculations are not displayed via Latex, does anyone know what the reason for this is? I have tried $$$ $ and ### # but with both the calculations are not displayed.

With overleaf the calculations are displayed

Double-$ is the correct delimiter (before and after) for stand-alone lines of Latex, and double-# is correct for in-line LaTeX.

So far I haven't been able to figure out what is wrong with your LaTeX, so I've reported it to the other Mentors. In the mean time, have you looked through the "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window to see if you see any issues?

Likes Lambda96
Here you go:$$\sqrt[n]{n}= n^{\frac{1}{n}}=e^{ln(n^{\frac{1}{n}})}=e^{\frac{1}{n}ln(n)}$$ $$\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \sqrt[n]{n}= \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} e^{\frac{1}{n}ln(n)}$$

• Love
Likes Lambda96, WWGD and berkeman
Lambda96 said:
Unfortunately my calculations are not displayed via Latex
The LaTeX is now fixed. You had some obscure LaTeX commands in your expressions that probably aren't part of the MathJax that we use here; namely uproot and leftroot. In addition the lines that wouldn't render correctly were missing a right brace ( } ) at the end.
In any case uproot and leftroot weren't needed for nth roots. Use ##\sqrt[n] {n}## (raw ##\sqrt[n] {n}##) instead.

• Informative
Likes Lambda96 and berkeman
Lambda96 said:
Homework Statement: See post
Relevant Equations: none

Hi

I have to prove the following three tasks

View attachment 336035
I now wanted to prove three tasks with a direct proof, e.g. for task a)$$\sqrt[n]{n} = n^{\frac{1}{n}}= e^{ln(n^{\frac{1}{n}})}=e^{\frac{1}{n}ln(n)}$$
$$\displaystyle{\lim_{n \to \infty}} \sqrt[n]{n}= \displaystyle{\lim_{n \to \infty}} e^{\frac{1}{n}ln(n)}$$

I would now argue as follows that x tends to infinity faster than the logarithm and therefore ##\frac{1}{n}## tends to zero and therefore ##e^0=1##.

Would this be a valid proof for task a?
Basically yes, but I would require an argument for ##\lim_{n \to \infty}\dfrac{\log n}{n}=0## likely with the help of L'Hôpital.

Likes Lambda96 and WWGD
If you've seen this:
For f continuous,
## Lim _{x\rightarrow a} f(x)=f(a) ##
You can use it too.
Edit: It would most likely require L'Hopital too.

Likes Lambda96
Thank you berkeman, Hill, Mark44, fresh_42 and WWGD for your help 👍👍👍👍👍

I then used de L'Hospital's rule to show that the term ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\ln(n)}{n}## goes to zero so

$$\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\ln(n)}{n}=\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n}=0$$Fortunately, I didn't have any problems with task b, but I can't make any progress at all with task c.

My lecturer told us the following for the solution$$\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} n^s = \infty \quad \text{for} \, s \in \mathbb{Q}_{+}$$

$$\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a^n = \infty \quad \text{for} \, a > 1$$

Unfortunately, I can't do anything with this because I already knew that the two terms tend to infinity. Would I have to show somehow that ##a^n## tends to infinity faster than ##n^s##?

Likes berkeman
Lambda96 said:
My lecturer told us the following for the solution$$\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} n^s = \infty \quad \text{for} \, s \in \mathbb{Q}_{+}$$

$$\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a^n = \infty \quad \text{for} \, a > 1$$

Unfortunately, I can't do anything with this because I already knew that the two terms tend to infinity. Would I have to show somehow that ##a^n## tends to infinity faster than ##n^s##?
There are a lot of possible cases in part c). Perhaps try ##s \in \mathbb N## first?

Likes Lambda96
Hint to simplify things:$$\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} c_n = 0 \ \Leftrightarrow \ \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} |c_n| = 0$$

Likes Lambda96
Lambda96 said:
Fortunately, I didn't have any problems with task b, but I can't make any progress at all with task c.
I haven't done c) so my advice must be taken as an idea. not as a solution path.

I would start (as usual) with what we already know. We have ##s=\dfrac{p}{q}\in \mathbb{Q}## and ##|a|>1## that leads to two cases ##a=1+r## and ##a=-1-r## with ##r>0.##

The first case is thus ##\lim_{n \to \infty}\dfrac{\sqrt[q]{n^p}}{(1+r)^n}## and I would look up the Taylor series for ##\sqrt[q]{\cdot}## at infinity on WA. I'm starting to see what @PeroK meant with a lot of cases ...

Edit: With the hint in post #10, we only have to show the case ##a>1.## This means we need to show that $$\left|\dfrac{\sqrt[q]{n^p}}{(1+r)^n}\right|<\varepsilon $$

Last edited:
Likes Lambda96 and PeroK
I don't know what the purpose of the restriction to [itex]s \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex] in part (c) is, since I think the result is the same for [itex]s \in \mathbb{R} \setminus \mathbb{Q}[/itex]. Possibly the restriction is there because [itex]x^\alpha[/itex] for irrational [itex]\alpha[/itex] and positive [itex]x[/itex] has not yet been defined (as [itex]\exp(\alpha \ln x)[/itex]). If so, the (to me) obvious [tex]
\lim_{n \to \infty} \left|\frac{n^s}{a^n}\right| = \lim_{n \to \infty} \exp( s \ln n - n \ln |a|)[/tex] may not be admissible. But you've already used [itex]n^{1/n} = \exp(n^{-1}\ln n)[/itex] in part (a), so...

• Informative
Likes Lambda96 and PeroK
pasmith said:
I don't know what the purpose of the restriction to [itex]s \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex] in part (c) is, since I think the result is the same for [itex]s \in \mathbb{R} \setminus \mathbb{Q}[/itex]. Possibly the restriction is there because [itex]x^\alpha[/itex] for irrational [itex]\alpha[/itex] and positive [itex]x[/itex] has not yet been defined (as [itex]\exp(\alpha \ln x)[/itex]). If so, the (to me) obvious [tex]
\lim_{n \to \infty} \left|\frac{n^s}{a^n}\right| = \lim_{n \to \infty} \exp( s \ln n - n \ln |a|)[/tex] may not be admissible. But you've already used [itex]n^{1/n} = \exp(n^{-1}\ln n)[/itex] in part (a), so...
I think it has to see with defining a (edit: Continuous)function on a dense subset ( of the Reals), which defines it uniquely.

Last edited:
Likes Lambda96
Thank you PeroK, fresh_42, pasmith and WWGD for your help 👍👍👍👍

Since many other students had problems with the exercise, our lecturer told us to use the epsilon criterion for the proof.

I then used fresh_42's suggestion and estimated the result, hope it was correct, the submission was today 🙃

What are limits for roots and exponents?

Limits for roots and exponents are mathematical concepts that determine the behavior of a function as it approaches a certain value or infinity. They are crucial in calculus for understanding the behavior of functions and their derivatives.

How do you prove limits for roots and exponents?

To prove limits for roots and exponents, you typically use algebraic manipulation and the properties of limits. For roots, you may need to rationalize the expression or use the definition of a limit. For exponents, you can use properties of exponents and the limit laws to simplify the expression and evaluate the limit.

What are some common techniques for proving limits involving roots?

Common techniques for proving limits involving roots include rationalizing the expression, using the conjugate rule, or applying L'Hopital's rule. These techniques help simplify the expression and evaluate the limit as it approaches a certain value or infinity.

How do you handle limits with exponents in the numerator and denominator?

When dealing with limits involving exponents in the numerator and denominator, you can simplify the expression by factoring out common terms or using the properties of exponents. You may also need to apply L'Hopital's rule if the limit is indeterminate.

Why are limits for roots and exponents important in calculus?

Limits for roots and exponents are important in calculus because they help us understand the behavior of functions as they approach certain values. They are essential for finding derivatives, determining continuity, and analyzing the behavior of functions in various mathematical contexts.