Solving Doublet Slit Problem: Find Wavelength of Laser 2

• Thread starter noellcm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slit
In summary, the problem involves finding the wavelength of a second laser that will result in its second maximum being at the same location as the fourth minimum of the first laser, with a given slit separation and distance between the slits and the screen. By setting the equations for the location of interference maxima and minima equal to each other and using the given values, the wavelength of the second laser can be determined.
noellcm

Homework Statement

A laser with wavelength d/8 is shining light on a double slit with slit separation 0.350 mm. This results in an interference pattern on a screen a distance L away from the slits. We wish to shine a second laser, with a different wavelength, through the same slits.

What is the wavelength lambda_2 of the second laser that would place its second maximum at the same location as the fourth minimum of the first laser, if d = 0.350 mm?

Homework Equations

location of interference maxima: dsin(theta) = m(lambda1)
location of interference minima: dsin(theta) = (m+.5)(lambda2)

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that sin(theta) has to be the same for both of them, so i set these equations equal to sin(theta):
sin(theta) = (m*lambda1)/d
sin(theta) = ((m +.5 )*lambda2)/d

therefore:
(m*lambda1)/d = ((m +.5 )*lambda2)/d

d is given in the problem, so you know d for both sides. you also know that d/8 equals lambda one, so that can be solved. i have tried 2=m for lambda one because it is the second maxima and 3.5=m for lambda two (mastering physics told me to remember that the first minima is zero, not 1). i keep on getting the wrong answer though! please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the wavelength lambda_2 of the second laser that would place its
second maximum at the same location as the fourth minimum of the first laser, if d = 0.350 mm?
So the equation should be
2/d*d/x = 3.5/d*d/8 .Solve for x, and then find the wavelength.

Based on your equations and approach, it seems like you are on the right track. However, there may be some errors in your calculations that are leading to the wrong answer. It would be helpful to show your work and calculations so that I can better assist you in finding the correct solution. Also, make sure to check your units and conversions to ensure they are consistent throughout the problem. Additionally, keep in mind that the integer values for m represent the order of the maxima, not the actual number of maxima. For example, the fourth minimum of the first laser would correspond to m=3.5, not m=4. I hope this helps and good luck with your problem!

What is the Doublet Slit Problem?

The Doublet Slit Problem is a physics problem that involves finding the wavelength of a laser 2 when it is split into two beams and passed through two slits.

Why is this problem important?

This problem is important because it helps us understand the properties of light, specifically how it behaves when it is split into two beams and passed through slits. It also has practical applications in fields such as optics and telecommunications.

What are the steps for solving this problem?

The steps for solving the Doublet Slit Problem are as follows:

1. Measure the distance between the two slits (d).
  2. Measure the distance between the two bright spots on the screen (x).
  3. Calculate the distance between the slits and the screen (L).
  4. Use the formula λ = xL/d to find the wavelength of laser 2.

What are the key concepts involved in solving this problem?

The key concepts involved in solving the Doublet Slit Problem are diffraction, interference, and the properties of light waves. Diffraction refers to the bending of waves as they pass through an opening, while interference refers to the interaction of waves when they overlap. Understanding these concepts is crucial in solving this problem.

Are there any common mistakes when solving this problem?

One common mistake when solving the Doublet Slit Problem is using the wrong formula. It is important to use the formula λ = xL/d, rather than the formula for single-slit diffraction, which is λ = xL/a. Another mistake is not measuring the distances accurately, which can result in an incorrect wavelength calculation. It is also important to remember to convert all measurements to the same units before plugging them into the formula.