Problem involving interference and medium with index n

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a diffraction grating with 300 lines per mm, illuminated with white light and filled with water of refractive index 1.33. The question is about the angular separation between 400 nm and 600 nm lines in the first-order spectrum. The solution involves an equation that takes into account the incident and refracted angles, but there is disagreement about which angle should be used. One solution suggests using the angle after the slits, while the other uses the incident angle. However, substituting these angles in the equation does not result in 1=1, causing doubt about the correctness of the solution.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
> A diffraction grating, ruled with 300 lines per mm, is illuminated with a white light source at normal incidence. (ii) Water (of refractive index 1.33) now fills the whole space between the grating and the screen? What is the angular separation, in the first-order spectrum, between the 400 nm and 600 nm lines? [5]Second the solution of the question, the equation of máximum localization is now ##d sin(\theta)/n = m \lambda##. The argument given to achieve this equation was that "the indicent plane light will suffers refraction between the two medium, such that ##sin(\theta i) = n sin (\theta w)##.

Even so i can see a logic behind this argument, i am not totally convinced with the solution of it. I mean, i am not sure of that. Honestly, i think the author is using the incident angle to measure the angular separation, and i desagree. The wave will propagate parallel to the refracted angle ##\theta w##, so the incident angle does not matter anymore. In this case, i would say that

**We could argue that the wavelength now is ##\lambda/n##. Now since the angle that matters is, in fact, the angle after the slits, already in the medium, the equation should be ##d sin(\theta w) = m \lambda /n##**.

THe problem with this solutions is that, if we substitute (Since i think both equations are essentially true, just differing the meaning of angular separation) ##\theta w## (my solution) and ##\theta i## (authors solution) in ##sin(\theta i) = n sin (\theta w)##, we did'nt got ##1=1##.

So one of the solutios is wrong. Probably mine, but i am not sure why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Herculi said:
**We could argue that the wavelength now is ##\lambda/n##. Now since the angle that matters is, in fact, the angle after the slits, already in the medium, the equation should be ##d sin(\theta w) = m \lambda /n##**.
That looks good to me.

Herculi said:
THe problem with this solutions is that, if we substitute (Since i think both equations are essentially true, just differing the meaning of angular separation) θw (my solution) and θi (authors solution) in sin(θi)=nsin(θw), we did'nt got 1=1.

I fail to see what refraction has to do with this problem.

1. What is interference in the context of science?

Interference is a phenomenon where two or more waves interact with each other, resulting in a change in their amplitude, frequency, or direction. This can occur when waves pass through the same medium or overlap in space.

2. How does interference occur in a medium with index n?

In a medium with index n, interference occurs when two or more waves with different wavelengths travel through the medium. The waves will interact with each other and produce a resultant wave with a new amplitude and direction.

3. What is the role of the index n in interference?

The index n, also known as the refractive index, is a measure of how much a medium can slow down the speed of light. In the context of interference, it determines the phase difference between the interacting waves and affects the resulting interference pattern.

4. How does the index n affect the interference pattern?

The index n can affect the interference pattern by changing the phase difference between the interacting waves. This can result in constructive interference, where the waves reinforce each other, or destructive interference, where they cancel each other out.

5. Can interference occur in mediums with the same index n?

Yes, interference can occur in mediums with the same index n. This can happen when the waves have different angles of incidence or when the medium has a varying index n, such as in a gradient-index lens. In these cases, the waves will have different paths and encounter different refractive indices, resulting in interference.