HW Question regarding double-slit interference

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question regarding double-slit interference and finding the wavelength of light. The question is poorly worded, causing confusion about the value of m. The experts clarify that the central maximum is labeled as "0" and the counting starts from there, with positive and negative numbers representing lines above and below the central maximum. They also explain the convention of labeling the central maximum as "0" to match the path length difference from the slits.
SoundsofPhysics
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
A Homework Question about double-slit interference reads as such:
"Finding a Wavelength from an Interference Pattern
Suppose you pass light from a He-Ne laser through two slits separated by 0.0100 mm and find that the third bright line on a screen is formed at an angle of 10.95° relative to the incident beam. What is the wavelength of the light?"
I used the equation:
d* sin *(theta) = m * lambda
0.01 * sin(10.95) = 2 * lambda
lambda = 949nm
The difference they did is using m = 3. But shouldn't the third line on the screen have m = 2 because the first line has m = 0 (It is the center, so theta = 0 and m must equal zero). Am thinking about it wrong? If so, how?
Screenshot 2022-03-24 143052.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The pattern is symmetric above and below the central line. The m-values, which denote the order of the maxima, are like an integer number line. In the photo you have zero at the origin from where you start counting, i.e. the central maximum is line "0". Then the next numbers are +1 above and -1 below for the first maxima which must occur at the same angle θ1 above and below the central maximum. Thus, there is only one line at m = 0, θ = 0 , two lines at m = ± 1 θ = ±θ1, and so on.

It looks like you made the same counting mistake that people made centuries ago when they omitted "year zero." According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_zero, "A year zero does not exist in the Anno Domini (AD) calendar year system commonly used to number years in the Gregorian calendar (nor in its predecessor, the Julian calendar); in this system, the year 1 BC is followed directly by year AD 1."

SoundsofPhysics said:
Suppose you pass light from a He-Ne laser through two slits separated by 0.0100 mm and find that the third bright line on a screen is formed at an angle of [...]
The question is very poorly worded. If they intended for the value of ##m## to be ##3## they should have stated that it's the third line from the central maximum. I agree with your logic: The phrase "third bright line" can be interpreted in the way you have and that if so then ##m=2##.

Likes vanhees71
Mister T said:
The question is very poorly worded. If they intended for the value of ##m## to be ##3## they should have stated that it's the third line from the central maximum. I agree with your logic: The phrase "third bright line" can be interpreted in the way you have and that if so then ##m=2##.
My logic says that if one counts starting at either end of the pattern, "line 1" would be the bottommost line or topmost line, depending on whether counts bottom to top or top to bottom. If one wants to start counting from the middle of the array, one does not start at one but at zero. The implication is that one direction is positive and the other direction is negative with zero at the boundary. Also, it makes more sense (at least to me) to say that the central line is the zeroth line and start there because it is unique in the pattern; it is the only line which is formed by equal path lengths. All the other lines come in pairs at equal angles.

Also, according to your scheme, the label of the first line above the central line is "2" in which case the label of the first line below the central line must be "0". The next two lines at equal angles would be "3" and "-1". If this labeling scheme makes sense to you, try teaching it to a class of undergraduates.

I agree with you that the problem is not very clear. A well written problem might say something like "the third line from the central maximum". However, the convention of labeling the central maximum "0" to match the path length difference from the slits to it is common and therefore not mentioned explicitly by some authors. This convention allows the line count number, the integer ##m## in the equation, and the path length difference in units of wavelength to be one and the same.

kuruman said:
The pattern is symmetric above and below the central line. The m-values, which denote the order of the maxima, are like an integer number line. In the photo you have zero at the origin from where you start counting, i.e. the central maximum is line "0". Then the next numbers are +1 above and -1 below for the first maxima which must occur at the same angle θ1 above and below the central maximum. Thus, there is only one line at m = 0, θ = 0 , two lines at m = ± 1 θ = ±θ1, and so on.

It looks like you made the same counting mistake that people made centuries ago when they omitted "year zero." According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_zero, "A year zero does not exist in the Anno Domini (AD) calendar year system commonly used to number years in the Gregorian calendar (nor in its predecessor, the Julian calendar); in this system, the year 1 BC is followed directly by year AD 1."
All true, but does not answer the question of how "third bright line" should be interpreted. "Third brightest line" would clearly be ##m=\pm 2##.

Indeed, it's a very badly formulated question. From the information that the light comes from a He-Ne laser it's clear that they meant ##m=3#, because the usual visible-light line is at 633 nm.

kuruman said:
If one wants to start counting from the middle of the array, one does not start at one but at zero.
Certainly the value of ##m## is zero at the middle of the array. But the first counting number is ##1##, not ##0##.

haruspex said:
All true, but does not answer the question of how "third bright line" should be interpreted. "Third brightest line" would clearly be ##m=\pm 2##.
To me it's clear that the "third bright line" is ##m=\pm 3## but I will stop here. I think that this argument is analogous to a European and an American arguing whether one has to climb two or three flights of stairs to get to the third floor of a building. The answer is clear to each one of them until they agree to disagree.

Likes vanhees71
kuruman said:
I think that this argument is analogous to a European and an American arguing whether one has to climb two or three flights of stairs to get to the third floor of a building. The answer is clear to each one of them until they agree to disagree.
What they disagree about must be whether or not the ground floor is the first floor or the zeroth floor. It's not about whether or not you start counting at zero.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is double-slit interference?

Double-slit interference is a phenomenon in which light or other waves passing through two narrow slits close together create an interference pattern on a screen behind the slits. This is due to the waves interacting and either amplifying or canceling each other out, resulting in areas of light and dark bands on the screen.

2. What is the cause of double-slit interference?

The cause of double-slit interference is the wave nature of light. When light passes through the two slits, it diffracts and creates two sets of waves that overlap and interfere with each other, resulting in the interference pattern on the screen.

3. How does the distance between the slits affect the interference pattern?

The distance between the slits, also known as the slit spacing, affects the interference pattern by altering the wavelength of the waves that pass through. A larger slit spacing will result in a wider interference pattern, while a smaller spacing will result in a narrower pattern.

4. Can double-slit interference occur with other types of waves besides light?

Yes, double-slit interference can occur with any type of wave, including sound waves and water waves. As long as the waves have a consistent wavelength and can diffract through the slits, they will produce an interference pattern.

5. What are some real-world applications of double-slit interference?

Double-slit interference is used in various technologies, such as interferometers, which are used to measure small changes in distance. It is also used in diffraction gratings, which are used to disperse light into its component colors, and in the study of quantum mechanics and the wave-particle duality of matter.