Total charge through point on wire due to changing current on other wire

by dhqpwoe
Tags: charge, current, point, wire
Share this thread:
dhqpwoe
Apr12-09, 08:46 PM
P: 9
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A square loop, side a, resistance R, lies a distance s from an infinite straight wire that carries current I. Now someone cuts the wire, so that I drops to zero. In what direction does the induced current in the square loop flow, and what total charge passes a given point in the loop during the time the current flows.

2. Relevant equations
Integral{B dot dl} = mu_0 * I => B=mu_0*I/(2*pi*r)

emf=-d(Integral{B dot dA})/dt
emf=I_induced*R

3. The attempt at a solution

I say that the flux is mu_0*I*a/(2pi)*Integral(dr/r) where r goes from s to s+a. The solution key agrees with me except for on the limits, which it says are a to 2a. I'm hoping that I am right for the problem as written and that the problem statement should have the square be a distance a (not s) from the wire... Does this sound right, or am I altogether wrong?
Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
dhqpwoe
Apr13-09, 03:13 PM
P: 9
Is the solution key wrong? (Should I be integrating from s to s+a?)

Register to reply