Magnetic field due to a long, straight wire

Meow12
Homework Statement
A magnetic field of 91.4 T has been achieved at the High Magnetic Field Laboratory in Dresden, Germany. Find the current needed to achieve such a field 2.00 cm from a long, straight wire.
Relevant Equations
Ampere's law: ##\displaystyle\oint\vec B\cdot d\vec l=\mu_0 I##
From Ampere's law, ##\displaystyle\oint\vec B\cdot d\vec l=\mu_0 I## where ##r## is the distance from the wire

##B\cdot 2\pi r=\mu_0 I##

##\displaystyle 91.4\times 2\pi\left(\frac{2}{100}\right)=4\pi\times 10^{-7} I##

##I=91.4\times 10^5\ A=9.14\ \rm{MA}##

But the answer given in the textbook is ##3.72\ \rm{MA}##. Where have I gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work and your numerical answer look good to me.

Likes MatinSAR, Delta2 and Meow12
Thanks; I guess the textbook is wrong, then.

Likes TSny
I also agree, but try to find the distance such that the total current is as textbook says.

I mean to find the distance from the wire such that at this distance the magnetic field is 91.4T when the wire carries 3.72MA

Last edited:
Likes MatinSAR

1. How do you calculate the magnetic field due to a long, straight wire?

To calculate the magnetic field due to a long, straight wire, you can use the formula: B = (μ0 * I) / (2 * π * r), where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space (4π x 10^-7 T*m/A), I is the current flowing through the wire, and r is the distance from the wire.

2. What is the direction of the magnetic field around a long, straight wire?

The magnetic field around a long, straight wire forms concentric circles that are perpendicular to the wire. The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule: if you wrap your right hand around the wire with your thumb pointing in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

3. How does the magnetic field strength change with distance from a long, straight wire?

The magnetic field strength decreases as the distance from the wire increases. This relationship follows an inverse proportionality, meaning that the magnetic field strength is inversely proportional to the distance from the wire squared.

4. Can the magnetic field due to a long, straight wire be shielded or blocked?

Unlike electric fields, which can be shielded or blocked by conducting materials, magnetic fields are not easily shielded or blocked. However, certain materials with high permeability, such as mu-metal, can redirect magnetic field lines and reduce their effects in specific areas.

5. How does the direction of the current in a long, straight wire affect the direction of the magnetic field?

The direction of the current in a long, straight wire determines the direction of the magnetic field around the wire. The right-hand rule can be used to determine the direction of the magnetic field: if the current flows in the direction of your thumb, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.