Finding the magnetic field of an infinite cylindrical wire.

In summary, the problem asks to find the magnetic field in all space for an infinite cylindrical wire with a varying current density. Using the homework equations, the solution is derived and found to have a direction in the ##\hat{\phi}## direction, determined using the right-hand rule.
ghostfolk

Homework Statement

An infinite cylindrical wire of radius ##R## carries a current per unit area ##\vec{J}## which varies with the distance from the axis as ##J(s)=ks^2\hat{z}## for ##0<s<R## and zero otherwise where k is a constant.
Find the magnetic field ##\vec{B(s)}## in all space.

Homework Equations

##\oint B \cdot dl=\mu_0I_{enc}##
##\nabla \times B=\mu_0 \vec{J}##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
##\oint B \cdot dl=B2\pi s##, ##I_{enc}=
\Bigg\{
\begin{array}{lr}
\frac{\pi ks^4\hat{z}}{2}, 0<s<R\\
\frac{\pi k R^4\hat{z}}{2},s \ge R
\end{array}##
So,
##\vec{B}=
\Bigg\{
\begin{array}{lr}
\frac{ks^3\hat{z}]\mu_0}{4}, 0<s<R\\
\frac{kR^4\hat{z}\mu_0}{4s}, s \ge R
\end{array}##.
However, when I calculate the curl of ##\vec{B}##, I don't get back ##\vec{J}##. Where am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
For one thing, ##\vec{B}## doesn't point in the ##\hat{z}## direction.

vela said:
For one thing, ##\vec{B}## doesn't point in the ##\hat{z}## direction.
It's radially isn't it?

No. You must have seen figures depicting the magnetic field around a wire in your book, right? Use the right-hand rule to determine the direction.

vela said:
No. You must have seen figures depicting the magnetic field around a wire in your book, right? Use the right-hand rule to determine the direction.
Okay. So if I use ##\vec{J} \times \vec{r}## to find the direction of the magnetic field inside the wire, then the magnetic field should be in the ##\hat{\phi}## direction?

Yup.

1. What is the purpose of finding the magnetic field of an infinite cylindrical wire?

The purpose of finding the magnetic field of an infinite cylindrical wire is to understand the behavior of the magnetic field around the wire. This information can be used in various applications such as designing electromagnets or studying the interactions between magnetic fields and charged particles.

2. How is the magnetic field of an infinite cylindrical wire calculated?

The magnetic field of an infinite cylindrical wire can be calculated using the Biot-Savart Law, which states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current flowing through the wire and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field around an infinite cylindrical wire?

The strength of the magnetic field around an infinite cylindrical wire is affected by the current flowing through the wire, the distance from the wire, and the permeability of the surrounding medium. The direction of the current also plays a role in determining the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does the magnetic field around an infinite cylindrical wire differ from that of a finite wire?

The magnetic field around an infinite cylindrical wire is constant and does not decrease with distance, while the magnetic field around a finite wire decreases with distance. Additionally, the magnetic field around an infinite cylindrical wire is uniform, while the magnetic field around a finite wire varies depending on the length and shape of the wire.

5. Can the magnetic field of an infinite cylindrical wire be affected by external magnetic fields?

Yes, the magnetic field of an infinite cylindrical wire can be affected by external magnetic fields. This is because magnetic fields can interact with each other, causing changes in strength and direction. The resulting magnetic field is a combination of the original fields and their interactions.