Question about thirst

by fluidistic
Tags: thirst
fluidistic
May1-09, 11:44 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,173
I've read on wikipedia that thirst
It arises from a lack of fluids and/or an increase in the concentration of certain osmolites such as salt. If the water volume of the body falls below a certain threshold, or the osmolite concentration becomes too high, the brain signals thirst.
Is it the only reason for being thirst? Don't we're thirst also when we need to cool off our body? I have the sensation that drinking a very cold (near 0C) water makes my thirst disappear much more than drinking a 25C water (room temperature). Usually a glass of cold water is enough for me when 3 glasses of room temperature in Summer is enough for me. It's more than an impression to me. How strange it doesn't appear in wikipedia. What are your thoughts?
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Stanford researchers rethink 'natural' habitat for wildlife
Plants with dormant seeds give rise to more species
kashiark
May2-09, 07:30 PM
P: 210
well im not sure about the temperature thing but when you get hot you get thirsty because you sweat and lose enough water to make your brain trigger thirst
fluidistic
May2-09, 08:13 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by kashiark View Post
well im not sure about the temperature thing but when you get hot you get thirsty because you sweat and lose enough water to make your brain trigger thirst
Yes I know. I just wonder why a cold glass of water is more effective against thirst than a hot one if the same quantity of water is drunk. Have you experienced the same? Or it's just me?

kashiark
May2-09, 08:30 PM

Question about thirst

did an internet search and found it: cold water is absorbed faster by the body and no you're not the only one lol
fluidistic
May2-09, 08:37 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by kashiark View Post
did an internet search and found it: cold water is absorbed faster by the body and no you're not the only one lol
Thanks to you I also searched on the Internet and I've read it's good to drink cold water when doing physical exercises and yes, it does cool the body. Nice to know.
Thanks for your input.
kashiark
May2-09, 08:40 PM
hm i didnt know that but it makes sense and anytime
Blenton
May3-09, 02:04 AM
P: 193
Heres another question: Do fish have any sensation of thirst?

Register to reply