How do I convert specific gravity of salt water to density and concentrations?

• Thread starter wildonion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, the conversation revolves around the measurement of specific gravity of salt water and trying to convert it into density and concentration values. The specific gravity was found to be 1.028, which is slightly higher than that of freshwater at 1.000. The confusion arises when trying to convert the units, with some sources stating that sea water of similar density has a salt content of 3.5%, while others show varying values. It is also noted that the density of sea water changes due to different conditions and factors. Ultimately, the only sure way to determine the correct concentration is to consult density tables.
wildonion
TL;DR Summary
density, specific gravity, concentrations of salt water
I recently measured the specific gravity of salt water (NaCl) with a hand refractometer of solution to be 1.028 d 20/20 and 36-37 0/00 at 20 deg C. the d 20/20 and 0/00 are the units on the refractometer view screen. I am not sure if the 0/00 means percentage or g/kg.

I am trying to convert this into density (kg/m^3), concentration (mg/L), and (ppm TDS). I am confused on exactly how to do this.

Since the specific gravity is 1.028 that of freshwater, which is 1.000, then density would be 1028 kg/m^3 using the formula below?

If the density of 1028 kg/m^3 and I convert units directly, I get something like:

1028 kg/m^3 * 1000000 mg/1kg * 1 m^3 / 1000 L = 1028000 mg/L or 1.028 kg/L

But I have been reading that sea water of approximate density of 1.025 kg/L has approximately 3.5% salt content, 35 g/kg, or 35 000 ppm AND that ppm and mg/L are the same with liquids. So I am really confused why 1028000 mg/L is so much larger. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I know there is a temperature dependence here too, but I am trying to understand if I am in the ballpark for the concentration value.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Do I understand correctly that you compare concentration of the salt to the density of the solution?

Borek, thanks for your reply. My goal is to calculate the correct salinity concentration in mg/L from my initial measurement of specific gravity and percentage.

The only sure way is to read the concentration for a given density from density tables. Most often they will have density vs w/w %. Once you know density and concentration in any units, you can convert to any other units.

0/00 means parts per thousand, as 0/0 (%) means parts per hundred. 36 0/00 means a fraction of 0.036, or 3.6%, or 36 g/kg. So your meter is telling you the specific gravity is 1.028 and the salt concentration is 36-37 g/kg, which is consistent with your data for sea water.

What you have written is that you have measured the density of salt water - not sea water, and the difference in density is 1.025 vs 1.028, that is only 0.3% higher.
Could it be due to measurement differences?

You could see that the density of seawater also changes from 1.020 to 1.029
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seawater#Thermophysical_properties_of_Seawater
Also, the value 3.5% of salt is a kind of average and it varies over different conditions. The Arctic Ocean has a concentration of 3.1% because of ice melting, whereas the Red Sea and the Mediterranean near Egypt has a concentration of 3.8% due to higher evaporation. Freshwater could be seen much further into the open Atlantic Ocean near to the mouth of the Amazon river because of the large volume of freshwater flow.

I just did a bit search, this Britannica article shows 1.02813 as the density at the surface.
https://www.britannica.com/science/seawater/Density-of-seawater-and-pressureAlso, the following ones show different values computed by different calculations
https://hypertextbook.com/facts/2002/EdwardLaValley.shtml

If density is 1.028 g/ml, then surely the mass of salt is 0.028g? Or can someone correct me here.

It depends upon whether the volume changes after salt dissolves.

tech99 said:
If density is 1.028 g/ml, then surely the mass of salt is 0.028g? Or can someone correct me here.

No, it is not. It is actually quite random and depends on many factors.

Take 2.8 g of NaF, add to 1 L of water - mass is 1028 g, density is 1.0015 g/mL

Take 2.8 g of NaCl, add to 1 L of water - mass is 1028 g, density is 1.0001 g/mL

Take 2.8 g of NaI, add to 1 L of water - mass is 1028 g, density is 1.0003 g/mL

No simple rules that will let you predict the dependence. Experimental tables are the only sure way.

Last edited:
Likes tech99 and Anand Sivaram
@Borek
Looks like there is a typo... Both (1) and (3) says the same 2.8g of NaF to 1L water but the densities look different.

Anand Sivaram said:
Looks like there is a typo...

Thanks for spotting, yes, should be NaI in the last line. That's what happens when you ^C^V instead of retyping every line.

Corrected.

Likes Anand Sivaram

1. What is density?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume of a substance. It is usually expressed in units of grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

2. How is density calculated?

Density is calculated by dividing the mass of a substance by its volume. The formula for density is: Density = Mass / Volume.

3. What is the difference between density and concentration?

Density and concentration are related, but they are not the same. Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume of a substance, while concentration is a measure of how much of a substance is dissolved in a given volume of a solution.

4. How do you convert between different units of density?

To convert between different units of density, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert from g/cm3 to kg/m3, you can multiply the value in g/cm3 by 1000.

5. Why is density an important concept in science?

Density is an important concept in science because it helps us understand the physical properties of different substances and how they interact with each other. It is also used in various industries, such as manufacturing and engineering, to determine the suitability of materials for specific purposes.