Register to reply

$60,000.00 question

by RAD4921
Tags: None
Share this thread:
RAD4921
Jun22-04, 12:44 PM
P: 314
Does the Earth rotate clockwise or counterclockwise?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Mysterious source of ozone-depleting chemical baffles NASA
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
How lizards regenerate their tails: Researchers discover genetic 'recipe'
check
Jun22-04, 01:25 PM
P: 275
Depend's on where you're looking at it from. Looking down on it above the North Pole, it's counterclockwise. Above the South Pole, it's clockwise.
RAD4921
Jun22-04, 04:54 PM
You got it! The Earth is rotating both clockwise and counterclockwise depending on which pole you are looking at.

check
Jun22-04, 06:38 PM
$60,000.00 question

Nice. Now when do I get my $60,000?
chroot
Jun22-04, 06:50 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
Is this supposed to be a difficult question or something?

- Warren
check
Jun22-04, 07:00 PM
Difficult or not, I want my $60,000!
russ_watters
Jun22-04, 10:17 PM
Mentor
P: 22,286
You're all wrong - it rotates west to east.
Phobos
Jun23-04, 12:13 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,021
As a forum moderator, I get a 10% cut of this deal.
RAD4921
Jun23-04, 12:23 PM
The question is not difficult if you think about it. The question was meant to catch people off guard who jump to conclusions. Anothe question is what president is on the one hundred dollar bill and the answer is no president. Not a difficult question if you think about but one that can easily be missed by reaching for what appears to be the obvious (quit breaking your arm patting yourself on the back) As for the 64 grand... I owe money to a list of people as long as my arm... sorry but get in line:)
chroot
Jun23-04, 08:32 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
In the future, please place "brain teaser" type questions -- even if, like this one, they barely even tickle the mind -- in the Brain Teasers forum.

- Warren
Phobos
Jun25-04, 08:55 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,021
Quote Quote by chroot
barely even tickle the mind
At least to the luminaries at PF.
'Tis scary how many layfolk have no clue about it.
Gokul43201
Jun25-04, 11:16 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Who said the Earth rotates ? Hogwash !

The Earth is a pentagon with 6 corners swimming on the surface of a torus (which is something like a bull, I believe).

www.flat-earth.org/
Njorl
Jun25-04, 12:04 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 875
All my clocks are digital, so nothing rotates clockwise. I now refer to things rotating toiletwise or counter-toiletwise. This becomes confusing when I converse with those on the other side of the equator.

Njorl
The Bob
Jun25-04, 01:04 PM
P: 1,116
We do have a laugh, don't we?

The Bob
chroot
Jun25-04, 02:30 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Njorl,

Unless your southern friends buy their toilets from the same company as you.

- Warren
mercmisfire
Jun26-04, 01:16 AM
P: 16
well, considering that most people here seem to think this an absurdly easy question, I may be in for some ridiculing, but here goes : 1) I assume that the earth itself (the phsyical land mass) moves in only on direction -- if not, then I'm screwed and give up, (2) as to why it would appear to be moving different directions, I can only hazard a guess -- please tell me if I am right : the earth is a sphere and so narrows as one approaches the poles; the earth will have the greatest speed where it is widest -- that is, at the equator, and have speeds diminishing equally on both sides of the equator as one approaches the poles (narrower earth = less distance covered in same time (one day) = slower speed) --> air leaving the equator will maintain the eastward speed it had at the equator, but, as the earth slows, will appear to be moving faster eastward than the earth --> thus, looking straight on at the earth, all air moving north or south will be deflected to on'e right side (if one drew a line from the equator the north it would go right; if one drew from the equator to the south, it would go right) --> looking down at the right curving air (that is, looking from the north), it will appear to be turning left (counterclockwise) --> looking up at the right curving air (that is, looking up from the south), the air will appear to be moving right (clockwise). Is this correct ?
-->merc
Tom McCurdy
Jun26-04, 06:06 AM
P: 1,113
Gokul43201 that really is a funny organization
Gokul43201
Jun26-04, 08:39 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Quote Quote by mercmisfire
well, considering that most people here seem to think this an absurdly easy question, I may be in for some ridiculing, but here goes : 1) I assume that the earth itself (the phsyical land mass) moves in only on direction -- if not, then I'm screwed and give up, (2) as to why it would appear to be moving different directions, I can only hazard a guess -- please tell me if I am right : the earth is a sphere and so narrows as one approaches the poles; the earth will have the greatest speed where it is widest -- that is, at the equator, and have speeds diminishing equally on both sides of the equator as one approaches the poles (narrower earth = less distance covered in same time (one day) = slower speed) --> air leaving the equator will maintain the eastward speed it had at the equator, but, as the earth slows, will appear to be moving faster eastward than the earth --> thus, looking straight on at the earth, all air moving north or south will be deflected to on'e right side (if one drew a line from the equator the north it would go right; if one drew from the equator to the south, it would go right) --> looking down at the right curving air (that is, looking from the north), it will appear to be turning left (counterclockwise) --> looking up at the right curving air (that is, looking up from the south), the air will appear to be moving right (clockwise). Is this correct ?
-->merc
Hmmm...not really. This really has nothing to do with winds or with the shape of the Earth. Take any object spinning about some axis. Look at this object from one end of the axis and then from the other....and you'll see !

Register to reply