Torque and counterclockwise versus clockwise

• Thread starter Madelin Pierce
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, determining whether a motion is clockwise or counterclockwise in a torque problem depends on the position of the viewer and the direction of the force acting on the object. There is no specific rule or equation to determine this and it is best to draw a diagram and imagine which way the force is likely to turn the object.
Madelin Pierce

Homework Statement

How do I determine whether something will go counterclockwise or clockwise? I know the hands of the clock idea, but how do I know in a torque problem? Also, how do I know what force will bring something into equilibrium?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Madelin Pierce said:

Homework Statement

How do I determine whether something will go counterclockwise or clockwise? I know the hands of the clock idea, but how do I know in a torque problem? Also, how do I know what force will bring something into equilibrium?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Whether a motion is clockwise or anticlockwise depends on the position of the viewer.
Suppose you are looking along an axis, and a force is acting perpendicularly to the axis, off to one side of it. Follow the shortest line from the axis to the line of action of the force, then turn in the direction of the force. If you turned right then it is clockwise, if left then anticlockwise.
If that does not answer your question, please post an example that is perplexing you.

As haruspex points out, you have to draw a diagram for each individual situation. There is no rule or equation which will tell you whether a torque is clockwise or counter clockwise. You have to draw a diagram with the forces, and then imagine which way a force is likely to turn the object. The point about which you are calculating the torque is imagined to be held fixed.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is often represented by the symbol "τ" and is measured in units of newton-meters (N⋅m).

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by its distance from the axis of rotation. The formula for torque is τ = F x d, where F is the force in newtons and d is the distance in meters.

3. What is the difference between counterclockwise and clockwise torque?

Counterclockwise torque refers to a force that causes an object to rotate in a counterclockwise direction, while clockwise torque causes the object to rotate in a clockwise direction. The direction of torque is determined by the direction of the force relative to the axis of rotation.

4. How does torque affect rotational motion?

Torque is directly related to the angular acceleration of an object. The greater the torque applied, the greater the object's angular acceleration will be. This means that a larger torque will cause an object to rotate faster, while a smaller torque will result in slower rotation.

5. Can torque be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative. Negative torque, also known as "counterclockwise torque," occurs when the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction of the object's rotation. This can result in the object slowing down or even rotating in the opposite direction.