Uniform Charge, Electric Field

by Digdug12
Tags: charge, electric, field, uniform
Share this thread:
Digdug12
Jun21-09, 06:52 PM
P: 15
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A very long uniform line of charge has charge per unit length 5.38 micro coulombs /m and lies along the x-axis. A second long uniform line of charge has charge per unit length -3.66 micro coulombs /m and is parallel to the x-axis at y = 0.400m. What is the net magnitude of the electric field at the point y = 0.200m? Give your answer in N/C in scientific notation to three significant digits.

2. Relevant equations

E=1/2pi(Epsilon)*[Uniform Charge length/R^2]

3. The attempt at a solution
I tried summing the two electric fields by using the above equation for each uniform charge and adding them together, however the answer is wrong. I also used 1/4pi(epsilon) but it was still wrong, what am i missing?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
LowlyPion
Jun21-09, 06:56 PM
HW Helper
P: 5,341
Quote Quote by Digdug12 View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A very long uniform line of charge has charge per unit length 5.38 micro coulombs /m and lies along the x-axis. A second long uniform line of charge has charge per unit length -3.66 micro coulombs /m and is parallel to the x-axis at y = 0.400m. What is the net magnitude of the electric field at the point y = 0.200m? Give your answer in N/C in scientific notation to three significant digits.

2. Relevant equations

E=1/2pi(Epsilon)*[Uniform Charge length/R^2]

3. The attempt at a solution
I tried summing the two electric fields by using the above equation for each uniform charge and adding them together, however the answer is wrong. I also used 1/4pi(epsilon) but it was still wrong, what am i missing?
Keep i mind that the E-field is a vector field.

Add like a vector instead of just summing, because direction matters.

In this case since they are opposite signs, and your point is in the middle, your answer should be ...

|E| = |E1| + |E2|

Register to reply