Free space optics

by mmzaj
Tags: free, optics, space
Share this thread:
mmzaj
Jun26-09, 04:43 PM
P: 99
Hello

I'am a fifth year senior majoring in telecommunications , and i'am considering FSO ( free space optics ) for my graduation project . i managed to obtain many books and papers covering the theoretical part . but material covering the design of the electronics - transmitter & receiver - don't seem to be available .

so do you have any good books/papers that can help ?

thanks in advance .
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Comfortable climate indoors with porous glass
Crash-testing rivets
Customized surface inspection
dlgoff
Jun26-09, 05:02 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,704
Here's some PDF files that look good for an introduction. Optical Transmitters and Receivers

Regards
mmzaj
Jun26-09, 07:32 PM
P: 99
thanks a lot , but they seem to be on fiber optics more than FSO !! anyways , i'am grateful .

dlgoff
Jun26-09, 09:40 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,704
Free space optics

You can find all sorts of free space optical components in trade publications. Here's one I am familiar with that you can subscribe to from right here in Physics Forums:
Photonics Spectra

Here is an example of of one for their articles: Free-Space Optics LasercomTerminals
dickusvi
Jun28-09, 05:16 AM
P: 1
I am an advocate and believer of Free Space Optics (FSO) in Telecommunications. I am also a user, and a consultant and have written a number of comparative analyses. These have not been written as scientific documentation but from the standpoint of the technologies proper use and its advantages and disadvantages. Some issues that you might want to consider are builitized below:

1. A user of this technology, as well as users of any technology must understand that all technologies must be used correctly. This, on face value, might seem like a pretty simple statement, and almost too stupid to make. The facts are that I have seen too many persons do stupid things and have the technology not work as it was designed to. It is because of this misuse that this has been a sleeper technology that continues to miss being a major telecommunications technology.

2. The user must understand the pluses and minuses associated with Free Space Optics before trying to use it. While I could write for days on this subject I will list a few general item and if you want some of the analyses I have done send me a message or reply.

When installed properly here is a list of advantages:

a. Data speeds up to 10 Gigabits are easily achieved today.
b. Ranges up to 4 kilometers are easily achieved today.
c. Has the lowest latency and jitter of nearly all telecommunications technologies with the exception of buried fiber.
d. Has tremendious potential as a low cost alternative for buried Optical fiber in many situations.
e. Is one of the most secure forms of transmitting voice, data or video signals.

Some disadvantages are:

a. Has great difficulty in penitrating fog and fine dust storms. Normal rain is not a problem.
b. Has problems with a driving rain on its lens.
c. Has problems when the sun shines directly on its lens.
d. Has great problems when installers ignore the above and do a sloppy installation when mounting the unit, running cables and making bad connections.

Enough for now.

By the way I am not a manufacture of these devices, and they are unnecessarly priced too high.

Register to reply