Take the New MITx Course: "Circuits and Electronics

In summary, the MITx course, beginning in March, will be the first prototype of an online project, known as MITx. The course is designed to be fully automated, with successful students receiving a certificate.
nobahar
Anyone intend to start using the new MIT course?:

BBC News: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-17012968

"An electronics course, beginning in March, will be the first prototype of an online project, known as MITx.

The interactive course is designed to be fully automated, with successful students receiving a certificate."

From the website: https://6002x.mitx.mit.edu/

"MITx will offer a portfolio of MIT courses for free to a virtual community of learners around the world. It will also enhance the educational experience of its on-campus students, offering them online tools that supplement and enrich their classroom and laboratory experiences.

The first MITx course, 6.002x (Circuits and Electronics), will be launched in an experimental prototype form. Watch this space for further upcoming courses, which will become available in Fall 2012."

It looks really interesting, and apparently they intend to expand it to Bio, Chem and Physics.
I noticed someone posted a link to the site in Academic Guidance.
I think MIT deserves a lot of credit for providing free, on-line educational material; assuming of course I'm not overlooking something. I might be cynical, but I don't know why they would provide something for free.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

wow! I didn't realize it is going to be for free! That's cool!

I'm really interested in this, but I'm about to start back at uni for the new semester and I have a very full load. I fear this might jeopardise my marks. Hopefully they keep the coursework up and I might try and hit it over the mid-year break.

For interested people, there was an online AI course courtesy of Stanford University last year, and the guy who (co-)taught it has now left Stanford and set up a website (Udacity) to continue teaching online He has two courses up so far (Making A Search Engine, and Programming A Robotic Car) with more to come. They are all on the Computer Science tip:

www.ai-class.com
www.udacity.com

It states its available March 2012 to June 2012. This is not such good timing for me, I assumed it would have been similar to the Opencourseware lectures you get.

nobahar said:
It states its available March 2012 to June 2012. This is not such good timing for me, I assumed it would have been similar to the Opencourseware lectures you get.

OCW is more for self teaching. They make the resources available, and anyone can use them at any time. For this course, they are offering a certificate that indicates you completed it. That's why it's a "limited time offer".

I enrolled :P

Interestingly enough, the RELATE education group (also at MIT) is doing a similar project. See: http://learn-physics.org/adm/roles. I think this is a good thing. Education over the internet has a lot of untapped potential, so I'm interested in how these courses will work out.

Related to Take the New MITx Course: "Circuits and Electronics

1. What is the MITx course "Circuits and Electronics" about?

The MITx course "Circuits and Electronics" is an introductory course that covers the fundamentals of circuits and electronics. It is designed for students who have a basic understanding of high school algebra and physics and are interested in learning more about electrical engineering and electronics.

2. Is this course suitable for beginners?

Yes, this course is suitable for beginners who have a basic understanding of high school algebra and physics. It is designed to introduce students to the concepts and principles of circuits and electronics in a clear and comprehensive manner.

3. How is the course structured?

The course is divided into 14 modules, with each module covering a different topic related to circuits and electronics. Each module consists of video lectures, interactive simulations, and practice exercises to help students understand the concepts better.

4. What are the prerequisites for taking this course?

The only prerequisite for taking this course is a basic understanding of high school algebra and physics. No prior knowledge of circuits or electronics is required.

5. Can I receive a certificate upon completion of the course?

Yes, students who successfully complete the course and pass the final exam will receive a certificate of completion from MITx. The certificate can be used to demonstrate your understanding of circuits and electronics to potential employers or for further academic pursuits.