Critique My Self-Study Schedule (Signal Processing & RF Electronics)

In summary, the person is currently in training to finish their degree, and they are planning to self-study while working full time. They are a typical student and attended a top university.
transhuman_autonomy
Untitle1d.png

Hello everybody. I have already graduated
I am currently in training at work which I am required to finish intensive courses. So I will start when it's completed.

My interests are in Signal Processing & RF Electronics which you could tell by the study plan I created.

I will be taking a slow approach to studying so I can understand thoroughly and retain information much more efficiently by scanning the textbooks, solving their problems, and taking notes as I summarize the main points.

In addition to the lab courses, I will get hands-on experience by doing personal projects and simulating them in software such as GNU Octave, XCOS, LabView, LTSpice, Proteus, TinkerCAD, Advanced System Design, etc. In order to boost my knowledge. This may sound silly, but I will also be writing a report for every experiment completed. Basically doing projects that I have theoretically studied and learned about.

I will eventually go to graduate school, but right now it's not an option.

I would like to hear your thoughts of it, and what can I do to make it better.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is hard to critique your plan without information about your background and situation. Answers to these questions will help us assess that:
  • Are you planning self-study while working full time?
  • Are you single or do you have a family? (This impacts how much free time you'll have.)
  • You list university courses. Will you be attending them in person or online?
  • Some of the courses you list require preparation such as: ODE and PDE, complex variables, linear algebra, Fourier transform theory and E&M. Do you have these? What other relevant courses have you completed? What was your degree in?
  • The number of courses you plan to take at once (five plus labs) will be extremely challenging. What kind of student are you? Did you attend a top university (Oxford/Harvard/Stanford/etc.) and find the courses so easy that you were bored? Are you a more typical student?
The more information you can provide, the more helpful the advice you receive will be.

Likes berkeman
Oh! You said you intended to get straight A's from that point forward. How did you do?

Hi, sorry for reviving and hijacking this thread :)
But may I ask where are these module codes from?
Are these standard USA academic codes or maybe some site where a person can mix and match modules?

Welcome to PF. :smile:

DraxDomax said:
Hi, sorry for reviving and hijacking this thread :)
But may I ask where are these module codes from?
Are these standard USA academic codes or maybe some site where a person can mix and match modules?
No, those "module codes" are class numbers from whatever university the OP was going to or using to study. Each university has different numbers for classes.

You can go to a university webpage and look up the "degree requirements" for various majors, and the required classes will be listed there, including their course numbers.

Hope that helps. :smile:

yeah, I think these codes are from an Illinois University program.
Looks cool how you can mix and match.
If I understand correctly, you get enough points and achieve a degree?

nice. I have a degree in finance but it was a set menu :D

1. What is the purpose of a self-study schedule for signal processing and RF electronics?

A self-study schedule allows individuals to set a structured plan for learning and mastering a particular subject on their own. In the case of signal processing and RF electronics, a self-study schedule can help individuals gain a deeper understanding of these complex topics and improve their skills in these areas.

2. How did you determine the topics and duration for each study session in your schedule?

The topics and duration for each study session were determined based on the complexity and importance of the concepts in signal processing and RF electronics. I also took into consideration my own strengths and weaknesses in these subjects and tried to allocate more time for topics that I struggle with.

3. Is it necessary to follow the schedule strictly or can it be adjusted?

The schedule is meant to serve as a guideline and can be adjusted according to individual needs and preferences. It is important to have a structured plan, but it is also important to be flexible and make changes as needed.

4. How often should I review the material covered in previous study sessions?

It is recommended to review the material covered in previous study sessions regularly, such as once a week or every few weeks. This will help reinforce the concepts and ensure that they are retained in the long term.

5. Can this self-study schedule be used for beginners in signal processing and RF electronics?

Yes, this self-study schedule can be used by beginners. However, it is important to keep in mind that everyone learns at their own pace, so the duration for each study session may need to be adjusted accordingly. It is also recommended to supplement the self-study schedule with additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to gain a more comprehensive understanding of the topics.