Learn Proofs: Best Websites & Books for Beginners

• Thread starter nickto21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, proofs are essential in mathematics as they allow us to logically demonstrate the truth of statements and ensure the accuracy of results. For beginners, the best way to learn proofs is through practice and exposure to various examples. Recommended resources include textbooks, online platforms like Khan Academy and Math Stack Exchange, and books such as "How to Prove It" and "The Nuts and Bolts of Proofs". To improve one's ability to write proofs, it is important to break down the statement, use precise language and notation, seek feedback, and analyze well-written proofs.
nickto21
Hey All,
I'm starting to learn proofs. Is there a good website that starts with the simplest proofs, and goes from there?
I've googled this, but thought maybe some of you may know something that isn't easily found.
I can also get books from Ohio State, so maybe some book suggestions?
I'm interested in learning from resources that hand hold, if you know what I mean. Stuff that doesn't assume that I know anything.
Ok, Thanks,
Steve

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Thanks Edgardo.

1. What are proofs and why are they important in mathematics?

Proofs are a fundamental concept in mathematics that serve as a way to logically demonstrate the truth or validity of a statement or theorem. They are important because they allow us to verify and understand the reasoning behind mathematical concepts and ensure the accuracy of mathematical results.

2. What is the best way to learn proofs for beginners?

The best way to learn proofs for beginners is through practice and exposure to a variety of examples. It is important to start with basic concepts and gradually build up to more complex proofs. Working through textbooks, online resources, and attending lectures or workshops can also be helpful in gaining a better understanding of proof techniques.

3. Are there any specific websites that are recommended for learning proofs?

Yes, there are several websites that are highly recommended for learning proofs. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Brilliant, and Math Stack Exchange. These websites offer a variety of resources such as videos, interactive exercises, and forums where users can ask and answer questions related to proofs.

4. Are there any books that are particularly helpful for beginners learning proofs?

Yes, there are many books that are specifically geared towards beginners learning proofs. Some popular options include "How to Prove It" by Daniel J. Velleman, "The Nuts and Bolts of Proofs" by Antonella Cupillari, and "Proofs and Fundamentals" by Ethan D. Bloch. These books provide a comprehensive introduction to proof techniques and include numerous examples and exercises for practice.

5. How can I improve my ability to write proofs?

Improving your ability to write proofs takes practice and patience. Some helpful tips include breaking down the statement or theorem into smaller parts, using precise language and notation, and clearly explaining each step in your reasoning. It is also important to seek feedback from others and to study and analyze well-written proofs to understand their structure and logic.