Good resources for a beginner getting into Quantum Physics?

In summary, The beginner wants to get into Quantum Physics, and wants some good resources. The beginner has a basic knowledge of physics (10th grade high school), but wants to advance their knowledge. Some good resources for Quantum Physics include books, Professor Dave Explains videos, and online courses at Yale and MIT. You should start with Classical Mechanics, then move on to E&M, and finally study QM. You will also have to study a lot of math.
schrodingers_cat
Summary:: I’m a beginner trying to get into Quantum Physics, and want some good resources (e.g. books) to get me started.

Hi everyone!
I’m a beginner trying to get into Quantum Physics, and want some good resources (e.g. books) to get me started.
I have a very basic knowledge of physics (10th grade high school) but want to advance my knowledge.
Thank you.

Likes Astronuc and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
schrodingers_cat said:
I have a very basic knowledge of physics (10th grade high school) but want to advance my knowledge.
then you should probably cover classical mechanics, E&M and then start with QM. You will also have to study a lot of math. QM has a lot of prerequisites!

As far as book's are concerned Griffiths QM is a standard undergrad text used for QM. You could also start with Vol1 of the Feynman lectures and work your way to Vol3 which is on QM. I think its very difficult to jump straight from 10th grade physics to a QM textbook, you could although read pop-sci books on QM and then slowly with time as you learn the math and become familiar with some of the ideas move on to a standard rigorous text.

I also wanted to learn QM in 10th grade, but after looking through a textbook on the subject in a book store I decided that will have to wait(the book looked like it was written in a different language with weird symbols and curly d's all over the place), it was only this year(12th grade) that I was able to progress smoothly(give or take) through Griffiths after studying physics and math's for a long one and a half years.

Check out this playlist on modern physics and Quantum Mechanics by Prof.Dave .
The last 10 video's deal with solving the Schrodinger equation, he goes through these very slowly and is easy to follow if you become comfortable with some single variable calc.

Last edited:
Thank you! I started watching Professor Dave Explains and he’s really good! I worked out that what I’ve previously covered was Classical Physics, and the next logical step would be to look at Modern Physics. I will look at books and the Feynman lectures once I have a basic knowledge of Modern Physics. 😀

Likes Hamiltonian
You can check out Susskind's Theoretical Minimum, both the books and the lectures series on YouTube.

Likes smodak and vanhees71
Yale has two introductory physics courses online. The second one ends with an intro to quantum physics.

There's also MIT 8.04SC. There's two versions with different styles but highly complementary from what I've read.

Likes Hamiltonian

1. What are some recommended books for beginners interested in learning about Quantum Physics?

Some popular books for beginners include "Quantum Physics for Dummies" by Steven Holzner, "Introducing Quantum Theory: A Graphic Guide" by J.P. McEvoy and Oscar Zarate, and "The Quantum Universe: Everything That Can Happen Does Happen" by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw.

2. Are there any online resources that can help me understand Quantum Physics better?

Yes, there are many online resources available for beginners, such as online courses on platforms like Coursera and edX, YouTube channels like PBS Space Time and Veritasium, and websites like Physics.org and Quantum Diaries.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to understand Quantum Physics?

While a basic understanding of mathematics is helpful, it is not necessary to have a strong background in order to grasp the concepts of Quantum Physics. Many introductory resources provide explanations in layman's terms and use visual aids to help beginners understand the concepts.

4. Can I learn about Quantum Physics without any prior knowledge of Physics?

Yes, it is possible to learn about Quantum Physics without any prior knowledge of Physics. However, having a basic understanding of classical physics concepts such as energy, matter, and forces may make it easier to understand the concepts of Quantum Physics.

5. Are there any hands-on activities or experiments that can help me better understand Quantum Physics?

Yes, there are several hands-on activities and experiments that can help beginners understand Quantum Physics, such as building a simple quantum computer using qubits, creating a double-slit experiment to demonstrate wave-particle duality, and conducting thought experiments like Schrödinger's cat. These activities can be found in books, online resources, or through joining a local physics club or meetup group.