Learning Math: Best Practices for New Grad Students

• MHB
  • Thread starter E01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, new mathematics students should try to take one class's homework, and then continue cycling through their courses.
E01
I'm a new first year graduate student and I've decided that my way of learning mathematics may not be the most efficient. I often memorize proofs in the book in the hopes that I'll be able to see where to apply the techniques used in the problems(I often understand the logic of a proof but won't remember the techniques at all if I don't try to rote memorize them). I seem to have to go through this process to get started on the exercises otherwise I won't know what to try and do.

I'll try to refine this question more later but I guess I'm asking:
For those who have done fairly well in Mathematics, what processes do you go through while learning new mathematics? Do you work a lot of simple examples? Do you mainly work through exercises? Do you play with the theorems and proofs in the book to see what happens given different hypotheses? Do you have to memorize things actively to be able to remember them for use later? If you could give me concrete "best practice" tips I would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best advice I ever got in grad school was this: don't work on the homework that's due next, until it's finished, and then move on to the next one. In grad school, the homework is 5000 times harder than undergraduate. Sheer quantity of time is not going to help you. Instead, do this:

1. Take one class's homework, and give it a good go. If you get into a groove, and you're knocking the problems out, stick with it! But if, as is most likely, you eventually hit a brick wall (no progress at all for, say, 10-20 minutes), then stop.

2. Move on to the next class's homework. Repeat Step 1.

3. Continue cycling through your courses, constantly.

This does a number of things for you. First of all, you might get cross-pollination among your courses, where an idea you get in one course helps you in another. You don't want to cut yourself off from that. Second, it's not the sheer amount of time you spend on problems that's going to solve them, it's the number of fresh starts.

Sleeping can sometimes solve problems! Some people solve problems in their sleep. Sleep, indeed, helps your brain to make connections it wouldn't otherwise make. Yes, I pulled a few all-nighters in grad school, but I always felt absolutely terrible after one. Keep yourself healthy - there's a connection between the body and the mind.

As for memorization, I would recommend memorizing the basic definitions. Memorizing proofs is much less valuable, because the fact is, different theorems, even closely related theorems, sometimes require drastically different proof methods. Understand the constructions used, yes. But really push yourself to imagine, and come up with proofs yourself. Imagination is key to all this. Speaking of which, make sure you give your imagination a workout by not watching too much TV or playing too many video games. Read good books by authors like Homer, Virgil, Dante, Milton, Jane Austen, Charles Dickens and Leo Tolstoy. That'll help as well.

I wish you well in your studies!

1. What are the best practices for learning math as a new graduate student?

Some best practices for learning math as a new graduate student include staying organized, practicing regularly, seeking help when needed, and actively engaging with the material through activities like problem-solving and note-taking.

2. How can I improve my understanding of complex math concepts?

Improving your understanding of complex math concepts can be achieved through various techniques such as breaking down the concept into smaller parts, seeking clarification from professors or peers, and utilizing resources like textbooks and online tutorials.

3. How can I manage my time effectively when learning math as a new grad student?

Time management is crucial when learning math as a new grad student. Some tips for effective time management include creating a schedule or study plan, prioritizing tasks, and setting aside dedicated study time each day.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when learning math as a new grad student?

Some common mistakes to avoid when learning math as a new grad student include rushing through problems, relying too heavily on memorization, and neglecting to review and practice previously learned material.

5. Is it important to have a strong foundation in basic math concepts before tackling advanced math as a new grad student?

Yes, having a strong foundation in basic math concepts is essential for success in more advanced math courses. It is crucial to understand fundamental concepts like algebra, geometry, and trigonometry before moving on to more complex topics.