Find the maximum bending moment

In summary: So the first term is incorrect, but the second term is correct. Also, it should be set equal to 0, not dM/dx. In summary, the maximum bending moment of a simply supported beam carrying a uniformly distributed load occurs at the mid-point of the beam. The value of the maximum bending moment is given by M = w/4 * l^2. To determine the maximum bending moment, the equation d/dx M(x) = 0 must be solved.
SteveMckenna
The bending moment, M, at position x meters from the end of a simply supported beam of length l meters carrying a uniformly distributed load of wkN m^-1 is given by:

M = w/2 l (l-x) - w/2 (l-x)^2

Show, using the above expression, that the maximum bending moment occurs at the mid-point of the beam and determine its value in terms of w and l.

I know that the max bending moment will occur at the root of the equation: d/dx M(x) = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
SteveMckenna said:
The bending moment, M, at position x meters from the end of a simply supported beam of length l meters carrying a uniformly distributed load of wkN m^-1 is given by:

M = w/2 l (l-x) - w/2 (l-x)^2

Show, using the above expression, that the maximum bending moment occurs at the mid-point of the beam and determine its value in terms of w and l.

I know that the max bending moment will occur at the root of the equation: d/dx M(x) = 0
Sounds good to me. Go for it!
SteveMckenna said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

You need to make some sort of attempt before anyone here will help you out. The function you're working can be differentiated fairly easily.

I believe that dM/dx = wl/2 - w(l-x) thus far!

Is this correct before I continue?

Your signs are wrong. For example, d/dx(w/2 * l(l - x)) = -w/2 * l

1. What is the maximum bending moment?

The maximum bending moment is the highest amount of force that a beam or structural member experiences while under load, causing it to bend or deform.

2. How is the maximum bending moment calculated?

The maximum bending moment is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the beam by the distance from the point of application to the fixed support. This is known as the moment arm or lever arm.

3. What factors affect the maximum bending moment?

The maximum bending moment is affected by the magnitude and direction of the applied force, as well as the length, shape, and material properties of the beam.

4. Why is it important to find the maximum bending moment?

Knowing the maximum bending moment is crucial in designing and analyzing structures, as it helps determine the strength and stability of the member and ensures that it can withstand the expected loads.

5. How can the maximum bending moment be reduced?

The maximum bending moment can be reduced by increasing the size or strength of the beam, changing the direction or location of the applied force, or adding additional support to the structure.