Pneumonic plague outbreak reported in China.

• Medical
  • Thread starter The_Absolute
  • Start date
  • Tags
    China
In summary, the conversation discusses the recent outbreak of Pneumonic plague in a small town in China and the concerns about its potential spread and fatality rate. Some individuals express worry and fear about the situation, while others provide information about the treatment and prevention options. There is also a reference to a British comedy show that uses the phrase "we're doomed" in a similar situation. The conversation ends with a question about the potential impact of the plague outside of the affected town.
The_Absolute
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iLFGFVYaEEFibpJ7MThpiQsgInWQD99QH66G0 [Broken]

First the bird flu, then the swine flu, now the Pneumonic plague. God knows what's next..

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
yawn!

The_Absolute said:
First the bird flu, then the swine flu, now the Pneumonic plague. God knows what's next..

Pneumatic plague :redface:

everyone feels tired! :biggrin:

The_Absolute said:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iLFGFVYaEEFibpJ7MThpiQsgInWQD99QH66G0 [Broken]

Wer'e doomed......doomed.:cry::eek::bugeye::biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dadface said:
Wer'e doomed......doomed.:cry::eek::bugeye::biggrin:

I don't think that plague is just limited to that tiny town in China. In the coming days, I expect to hear Thousands of new cases, and then Millions in the months following. What is the fatality rate of the Pneumonic plague? Are there any existing vaccines which will protect against it? Are Hundreds of Millions or perhaps Billions of people going to die from this plague?

The_Absolute said:
I don't think that plague is just limited to that tiny town in China. In the coming days, I expect to hear Thousands of new cases, and then Millions in the months following. What is the fatality rate of the Pneumonic plague? Are there any existing vaccines which will protect against it? Are Hundreds of Millions or perhaps Billions of people going to die from this plague?

I wasn't downplaying the threat I was quoting from a classic British comedy T.V. series called Dads Army.One of the characters always said the above when there was apparent danger.I don't know the answer to any of your questions.

Last edited:
The_Absolute said:

Wiki has good links supporting the following

Pneumonic plague is a very aggressive infection requiring rapid antibiotic treatment within around 24 hours of infection.

Early treatment of pneumonic plague is essential. To reduce the chance of death, antibiotics must be given within 24 hours of first symptoms.[1] Streptomycin, gentamicin, tetracyclines, and chloramphenicol are all effective against pneumonic plague.

Antibiotic treatment for 7 days will protect people who have had direct, close contact with infected patients. Wearing a close-fitting surgical mask also protects against infection.[1]

Without treatment, the mortality rate from pneumonic plague approaches 100%.[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumonic_plague

The_Absolute said:
This is really getting old, you start these threads making ridiculous claims. One person died.

Evo said:
This is really getting old, you start these threads making ridiculous claims. One person died.

Have there been any reported infections/deaths outside that small rural town in China?

What is pneumonic plague?

Pneumonic plague is a severe, highly contagious bacterial infection caused by the bacterium Yersinia pestis. It primarily affects the lungs and can lead to pneumonia, respiratory failure, and death if left untreated.

How is pneumonic plague transmitted?

Pneumonic plague can be transmitted through direct contact with respiratory droplets from an infected person, such as through coughing or sneezing. It can also be transmitted through contact with contaminated objects or animals, such as fleas that have bitten an infected rodent.

What are the symptoms of pneumonic plague?

The symptoms of pneumonic plague can include fever, headache, weakness, shortness of breath, chest pain, and coughing up blood. It can progress rapidly and lead to respiratory failure and shock.

How is pneumonic plague treated?

Pneumonic plague is a medical emergency and requires immediate treatment with antibiotics. It is important to seek medical attention if you suspect you have been exposed to the infection, as early treatment greatly increases the chances of survival.

Is there a vaccine for pneumonic plague?

Currently, there is no licensed vaccine for pneumonic plague. However, researchers are working on developing a vaccine that could potentially protect against the infection.