Register to reply

Pneumonic plague outbreak reported in China.

by The_Absolute
Tags: china, outbreak, plague, pneumonic, reported
Share this thread:
The_Absolute
Aug2-09, 01:39 AM
P: 182
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...gInWQD99QH66G0

First the bird flu, then the swine flu, now the Pneumonic plague. God knows what's next..
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Senegal monitors contacts of 1st Ebola patient
Snacking while watching action movies leads to overeating
Quality of US diet shows modest improvement, but overall remains poor
tiny-tim
Aug2-09, 04:06 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
Quote Quote by The_Absolute View Post
First the bird flu, then the swine flu, now the Pneumonic plague. God knows what's next..
Pneumatic plague
everyone feels tired!
Dadface
Aug2-09, 05:14 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,022
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...gInWQD99QH66G0

Wer'e doomed..........................doomed.

The_Absolute
Aug2-09, 06:01 AM
Pneumonic plague outbreak reported in China.

Quote Quote by Dadface View Post
Wer'e doomed..........................doomed.
I don't think that plague is just limited to that tiny town in China. In the coming days, I expect to hear Thousands of new cases, and then Millions in the months following. What is the fatality rate of the Pneumonic plague? Are there any existing vaccines which will protect against it? Are Hundreds of Millions or perhaps Billions of people going to die from this plague?
Dadface
Aug2-09, 06:14 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,022
I don't think that plague is just limited to that tiny town in China. In the coming days, I expect to hear Thousands of new cases, and then Millions in the months following. What is the fatality rate of the Pneumonic plague? Are there any existing vaccines which will protect against it? Are Hundreds of Millions or perhaps Billions of people going to die from this plague?
I wasn't downplaying the threat I was quoting from a classic British comedy T.V. series called Dads Army.One of the characters always said the above when there was apparent danger.I don't know the answer to any of your questions.
Ivan Seeking
Aug2-09, 11:22 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
Wiki has good links supporting the following

Pneumonic plague is a very aggressive infection requiring rapid antibiotic treatment within around 24 hours of infection.

Early treatment of pneumonic plague is essential. To reduce the chance of death, antibiotics must be given within 24 hours of first symptoms.[1] Streptomycin, gentamicin, tetracyclines, and chloramphenicol are all effective against pneumonic plague.

Antibiotic treatment for 7 days will protect people who have had direct, close contact with infected patients. Wearing a close-fitting surgical mask also protects against infection.[1]

Without treatment, the mortality rate from pneumonic plague approaches 100%.[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumonic_plague
Evo
Aug2-09, 01:57 PM
Mentor
P: 26,557
This is really getting old, you start these threads making ridiculous claims. One person died.
The_Absolute
Aug3-09, 01:28 AM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
This is really getting old, you start these threads making ridiculous claims. One person died.
Have there been any reported infections/deaths outside that small rural town in China?

Register to reply