Strange virus kills 30 people in Ukraine.

• Medical
  • Thread starter The_Absolute
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strange Virus
In summary, there has been a string of deadly diseases emerging in recent years, including the west nile virus, SARS, bird flu, and swine flu. Now, a new and unidentified virus has been reported in Ukraine, raising concerns and questions about the source and frequency of these outbreaks. However, some argue that these diseases have always existed and are just being detected more efficiently now.
The_Absolute
http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/influenza/swineflu/news/oct3009ukraine.html

First the west nile virus, then SARS, bird flu, then the swine flu, and now this strange virus. It seems that there is a new type of deadly disease popping up somewhere in the world every few years. More so in the past decade than any other point in all of history. Ukrainian medical officials have confirmed that this virus is not the H1N1 "swine" flu virus. The identity of the virus is still unclear.

Where are all these diseases coming from? Why so many so quick? What the heck is going on?! What's next?

Biology news on Phys.org
My bet is that nothing qualitatively new happens, we are just much better at detecting. Things that 30 years ago would slip as unexplained/separated now are getting recognized.

Borek said:
My bet is that nothing qualitatively new happens, we are just much better at detecting. Things that 30 years ago would slip as unexplained/separated now are getting recognized.

Not like this...

Not sure about the others but swine flu certainly isn't new.

The_Absolute said:
http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/influenza/swineflu/news/oct3009ukraine.html

First the west nile virus, then SARS, bird flu, then the swine flu, and now this strange virus. It seems that there is a new type of deadly disease popping up somewhere in the world every few years. More so in the past decade than any other point in all of history. Ukrainian medical officials have confirmed that this virus is not the H1N1 "swine" flu virus. The identity of the virus is still unclear.

Where are all these diseases coming from? Why so many so quick? What the heck is going on?! What's next?

Read up on the virial theorem. :smile:

The_Absolute said:

Borek's correct that emerging diseases are noticed much earlier now, but http://www.cdc.gov/eid/content/15/11/1713.htm" . Sure, humans have always been mobile, but planes, trains, ships, and cars make moving around the globe much quicker than it used to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not mentioned it to not complicate the picture :smile:

Besides, just because the pathogens are spread faster doesn't mean they appear more frequently. Could be they do - larger population means more occasions for virus to 'jump' to humans and more occasions to evolve - but I still think we are talking about the same mechanisms that existed earlier, no qualitative, only quantitative changes.

russ_watters said:
Not sure about the others but swine flu certainly isn't new.

Apparently, this virus in Ukraine is NOT the H1N1 "swine" flu virus. It is an entirely different virus all together. Which has me very concerned.

The_Absolute said:
Apparently, this virus in Ukraine is NOT the H1N1 "swine" flu virus. It is an entirely different virus all together.
According to the article, that is nowhere near confirmed. But you did incorrectly state that swine flu was "new".
Which has me very concerned.
Why? Even if that virus is new, new viruses aren't new. So what is the big deal? Take SARS for example. It infected some 8,000 people and killed 774 over two years. That's grossly out of proportion to the panic it caused. More people die in car accidents every week in the US than that!

russ_watters said:
According to the article, that is nowhere near confirmed. But you did incorrectly state that swine flu was "new". Why? Even if that virus is new, new viruses aren't new. So what is the big deal? Take SARS for example. It infected some 8,000 people and killed 774 over two years. That's grossly out of proportion to the panic it caused. More people die in car accidents every week in the US than that!

It's fear of the unknown - a lack of control.

russ_watters said:
Even if that virus is new, new viruses aren't new.

I agree with the general sentiment of your post - but you've lost me here :bugeye:

The_Absolute said:

I see no evidence that the outbreak is anything other than H1N1. Closed.

1. What is the cause of the strange virus in Ukraine?

The cause of the strange virus in Ukraine is currently unknown. Scientists are working to identify the virus and determine its origin.

2. How is the virus transmitted?

The mode of transmission for the virus is also currently unknown. It is important to practice good hygiene and avoid close contact with those who are sick in order to prevent the spread of the virus.

3. What are the symptoms of the virus?

The symptoms of the virus include fever, coughing, difficulty breathing, and fatigue. It is important to seek medical attention if you experience these symptoms.

4. Is there a cure for the virus?

At this time, there is no known cure for the virus. However, scientists and medical professionals are working to develop treatments and vaccines to combat the virus.

5. How can I protect myself from the virus?

To protect yourself from the virus, it is important to practice good hygiene such as washing your hands regularly, avoiding close contact with those who are sick, and wearing a mask in public settings. It is also important to stay informed and follow any guidelines or recommendations from health officials.