Lewis Structure: SOCl2 Solution

In summary, the correct Lewis structure for SOCl2 is with a double bond between sulfur and oxygen, eliminating formal charges on the atoms. This is possible because sulfur can expand its valence shell.
phys1618

Homework Statement

write lewis structure for SOCl2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

.. .. ..
:Cl-S-Cl:
.. | ..
:O:

what i did was put S in the middle with a single bond on both side for Cl, each Cl has six dot. S has two at the top. I havve a single bond at the bottom of S to connect to O. O has six dot.
i wanted to know if i can also write another structure. like take one set of electron away frm Oxygen and put a double bond connect sulfur and oxygen, instead of a single bond? please let me know if the top diagram is correct also. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
From the Lewis structure you drew, the oxygen would have a formal charge of -1 and the sulfur would have a formal charge of +1. In order to eliminate these formal charges you can use a lone pair from the oxygen to form a double bond with the sulfur. This leaves none of the atoms with a formal charge, but it leaves sulfur with 10 electrons in its valence shell. This would normally be a problem, but because sulfur is in the third period of the periodic table, it can violate the octet rule by using its d-orbitals to expand its valence shell and hold more than eight electrons.

So the structure with a double bond between the sulfur and oxygen would be the correct Lewis structure.

thank you

1. What is the Lewis structure of SOCl2?

The Lewis structure of SOCl2 is a diagram that represents the arrangement of atoms and electrons in the molecule. It consists of one sulfur atom, one oxygen atom, and two chlorine atoms bonded together, with a total of 20 valence electrons.

2. How do you draw the Lewis structure of SOCl2?

To draw the Lewis structure of SOCl2, first determine the total number of valence electrons by adding the valence electrons of each atom. Then, arrange the atoms in a way that the central atom (sulfur) is bonded to the other atoms (oxygen and chlorine) through single bonds. Next, distribute the remaining electrons as lone pairs around each atom to fulfill the octet rule. Finally, check the formal charges of each atom to make sure they are as close to zero as possible.

3. What is the molecular shape of SOCl2?

The molecular shape of SOCl2 is trigonal planar. This means that the molecule has a flat, triangular shape with the sulfur atom at the center and the oxygen and chlorine atoms forming a 120-degree angle around it.

4. Is SOCl2 polar or nonpolar?

SOCl2 is a polar molecule. Although it has a symmetrical molecular shape, the different electronegativities of the atoms (sulfur: 2.58, oxygen: 3.44, chlorine: 3.16) result in a dipole moment, with the chlorine atoms being slightly negative and the sulfur and oxygen atoms being slightly positive.

5. What are the uses of SOCl2?

SOCl2 is commonly used as a reagent in organic synthesis, particularly in the conversion of alcohols to alkyl chlorides. It is also used in the production of pesticides, pharmaceuticals, and dyes. Additionally, SOCl2 is used in lithium batteries as an electrolyte solvent.