How Do I Complete This Lewis Structure?

In summary, the homework statement said that there should be a total of 34 e- in the Lewis structure for ClF4+. The Attempt at a Solution said that the lone pair sits on the chlorine atom and that you have to invoke higher-energy orbitals in order for the octet rule not to be violated. If so, that makes perfect sense to me. However, for future reference there is a hard and fast rule to apply whenever one comes across a problem like this, and symmetry often helps guide the choice of orbitals to put in the extra electrons.
JeweliaHeart

Homework Statement

Draw the best Lewis Dot Structures the following species:
ClF4+

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated that there should be a total of 34 e- in the Lewis structure":
7 (1 chlorine atom) + 28 ( 7 from each of the four fluorine atoms) - 1(b/c the atom has a plus one charge)= 34 e-

My Lewis structure (what I have in it so far) is in the attachment below. I don't know how to add in the two other electrons w/o violating the octet rule or even where they should go if I did add them.

Attachments

• ClF4plus.png
    ClF4plus.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 8,604
Physics news on Phys.org
The lone pair sits on the chlorine atom. You have to invoke higher-energy orbitals, so the octet rule is not followed.

Well, thank you.

And this must be possible b/c the chlorine atom is the third period so it can utilize d orbitals, right?

If so, that makes perfect sense to me, but just for future reference is there some hard & fast rule to apply whenever one comes across problems like these: For example, the extra electrons always goes to the atom that can support d orbitals (i.e. period 3 or higher elements)?

JeweliaHeart said:
And this must be possible b/c the chlorine atom is the third period so it can utilize d orbitals, right?
Right. I should've specified that when I said "higher-energy orbitals", it will only be stable if the difference in energy is not to big, and therefore the orbitals must come from the same shell.

JeweliaHeart said:
If so, that makes perfect sense to me, but just for future reference is there some hard & fast rule to apply whenever one comes across problems like these: For example, the extra electrons always goes to the atom that can support d orbitals (i.e. period 3 or higher elements)?
I wouldn't say that there are "hard & fast rules", especially since Lewis diagrams are actually gross simplifications of reality, and you have to do some quantum chemistry to really understand molecular structures. But you do need orbitals available to put in the extra electrons. And I think that symmetry is often a good guide also: were the F atoms able to gain extra electrons, that would result in a series of "ugly" resonance structures to account for all the possibilities.

I would recommend using the following steps to complete the Lewis structure for ClF4+:

1. Determine the central atom: In this case, the central atom is chlorine (Cl) because it is the least electronegative element.

2. Count the valence electrons: Chlorine has 7 valence electrons, and each fluorine atom has 7 valence electrons. Since there are 4 fluorine atoms, there are a total of 28 valence electrons in the molecule.

3. Add the positive charge: Since the molecule has a positive charge of +1, subtract one electron from the total number of valence electrons.

4. Place the atoms: Connect the central atom (Cl) to the surrounding atoms (F) using single bonds.

5. Distribute remaining electrons: Start by placing the remaining electrons on the outer atoms (F) to give them a full octet. In this case, each F atom will have 8 electrons (2 from the single bond and 6 from the remaining valence electrons).

6. Complete the octets on the central atom: After distributing the remaining electrons to the outer atoms, check to see if the central atom (Cl) has a complete octet. If it does not, move lone pairs from the outer atoms to form double or triple bonds with the central atom until it has a full octet.

7. Check formal charges: After completing the octets, check to see if any atoms have formal charges. If so, try to rearrange the electrons to minimize the formal charges.

In the case of ClF4+, the Lewis structure would look like this:

Cl
/ \
F F
/ \ / \
F F--F F
|
F

The total number of valence electrons used is 34, and the central atom (Cl) has a full octet. Each F atom also has a full octet, and there are no formal charges present.

I hope this helps you complete the Lewis structure for ClF4+. Remember to always follow the octet rule and check for formal charges to ensure a correct and stable structure.

1. What is a Lewis structure?

A Lewis structure is a diagram that shows the bonding between atoms in a molecule and the placement of lone pairs of electrons. It is also called a Lewis dot structure or electron dot structure.

2. How do I determine the number of valence electrons in an atom?

The number of valence electrons in an atom can be determined by looking at its group number on the periodic table. For main group elements, the number of valence electrons is equal to the group number. For transition metals, it can be more complicated due to the presence of multiple electron shells.

3. What are the steps to complete a Lewis structure?

The general steps to completing a Lewis structure are as follows:1. Determine the total number of valence electrons in the molecule.2. Arrange the atoms in the molecule and connect them with single bonds.3. Place the remaining electrons around the atoms to satisfy the octet rule.4. If any atoms lack an octet, try forming double or triple bonds.5. Check the formal charges of each atom to ensure they are as close to 0 as possible.6. If necessary, draw resonance structures to represent the bonding in the molecule.

4. How do I know if a Lewis structure is correct?

A Lewis structure is considered correct if it follows the octet rule, where all atoms (except hydrogen) have 8 electrons in their outermost shell. Additionally, the formal charges of each atom should be as close to 0 as possible. It is also important to check for any resonance structures that may represent the molecule better.

5. Is it possible to have a molecule with an odd number of electrons?

Yes, it is possible to have a molecule with an odd number of electrons. This is called a free radical and it occurs when an atom has an unpaired electron in its outermost shell. These molecules are highly reactive and can be unstable.