What is the format for ionic lewis structure w/ resonance?

In summary, the conversation is about drawing the Lewis dot structure for NH4NO2, which is an ionic compound. The problem lies in drawing the NO2- ion, which has a resonance structure with one nitrogen bonded to two oxygens, one of which has a double bond that alternates between the two oxygens. The original Lewis dot structures did not include the concept of resonance, but it can be indicated with dashed or dotted lines. It is interesting to note that the concept of a cubical atom was discussed in the original paper on Lewis dot structures, which was published in 1916 and once belonged to Linus Pauling.
needingtoknow

Homework Statement

I need to draw NH4NO2 which is an ionic compound.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

NH4 is fairly straightforward to draw, with one N in the middle and four H surrounding, and no lone pairs. The problem comes with NO2- which is one nitrogen bonded to two oxygens. However, one of the bonds is a double bond which alternates back and forth between the two oxygens (I know this is a simplified way of explaining but it is just makes it easier to explain what I have so far). There is a lone pair on the nitrogen and 6 electrons around the oxygen that only has a single bond to the nitrogen while there is only 4 electrons around the oxygen that has the double bond with the nitrogen. I have never seen an example before of an ionic lewis structure where one of the ions is a resonance structure AND also with all of the electrons on the atoms shown as well and I was wondering if there is a certain way to draw this sort of structure or do I just place the 2 resonance structures next to the NH4? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
needingtoknow said:

Homework Statement

I need to draw NH4NO2 which is an ionic compound.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

NH4 is fairly straightforward to draw, with one N in the middle and four H surrounding, and no lone pairs. The problem comes with NO2- which is one nitrogen bonded to two oxygens. However, one of the bonds is a double bond which alternates back and forth between the two oxygens (I know this is a simplified way of explaining but it is just makes it easier to explain what I have so far). There is a lone pair on the nitrogen and 6 electrons around the oxygen that only has a single bond to the nitrogen while there is only 4 electrons around the oxygen that has the double bond with the nitrogen. I have never seen an example before of an ionic lewis structure where one of the ions is a resonance structure AND also with all of the electrons on the atoms shown as well and I was wondering if there is a certain way to draw this sort of structure or do I just place the 2 resonance structures next to the NH4? Thank you

You will sometimes see resonance indicated with dashed/dotted lines for the second bonds.

I think that the original Lewis dot structures did not include the idea of resonance structures, so if you want to be true to G. N. Lewis, you could simply pick one to show, maybe with a note that you know that there are resonance structures.

It is interesting to look at the original paper that outlined the dot structure picture. It is from 1916, which is not that long ago. The paper includes some discussions of the idea of a cubical atom (trying to make sense of the 8 valence for many elements).
http://scarc.library.oregonstate.edu/coll/pauling/bond/papers/corr216.3-lewispub-19160400.html

I like the scanned image above, because this particular reprint of the paper belonged to Linus Pauling!

Likes Borek

1. What is an ionic Lewis structure?

An ionic Lewis structure is a diagram that shows the arrangement of electrons in an ionic compound. It is used to represent the transfer of electrons from one atom to another in order to form ionic bonds.

2. What is the format for an ionic Lewis structure?

The format for an ionic Lewis structure is similar to that of a covalent Lewis structure, with the cation (positively charged ion) written first and the anion (negatively charged ion) written second. The charges of each ion should be indicated and the total charge of the compound should be zero.

3. What is resonance in an ionic Lewis structure?

Resonance in an ionic Lewis structure refers to the representation of a molecule or ion with multiple Lewis structures, indicating that the actual electronic structure is a combination of these resonance structures. This is commonly seen in polyatomic ions such as nitrate (NO3-) where the double bonds can be placed in different positions.

4. How do you draw an ionic Lewis structure with resonance?

To draw an ionic Lewis structure with resonance, follow the same format as a regular ionic Lewis structure, but instead of a single bond, use a double-headed arrow between the different resonance structures. It is important to note that the overall charge of the compound should still be the same as indicated in the original ionic Lewis structure.

5. Why is it important to draw an accurate ionic Lewis structure with resonance?

Drawing an accurate ionic Lewis structure with resonance is important because it helps us to understand the bonding and structure of the compound, as well as its reactivity and properties. It also allows us to predict the shape and polarity of the molecule or ion, which are important factors in determining its chemical behavior.