What are some fun or offbeat physics books that are still high quality physics?

by Kalibasa
Tags: books, offbeat, physics, quality
Kalibasa
Oct10-09, 12:04 AM
P: 21
I know this is a little strange to ask on a forum but... I don't know where else to ask! My boyfriend is a physicist and I want to get him some fun book relating to it for his birthday, but most of the books I found looked like they were poor quality ("New York Times bestsellers" written by non-physicists, or really vague and sensationalistic books about time travel).

I want something that is higher-quality, and it can be at an advanced level. Can you think of any bizarre, lighthearted or off-topic books that are still true physics books, books that you would approve of or enjoy?

Thanks!!!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
philnow
Oct10-09, 12:23 AM
P: 84
http://www.amazon.com/Surely-Feynman.../dp/0393316041

I couldn't help but love this book. It's quite offbeat, check out the descriptions/reviews!
sganesh88
Oct10-09, 11:11 AM
P: 288
Evolution of Physics by Einstein and Leopold Infeld. It can be read by everyone and yet manages to be no-nonsense.

Daverz
Oct10-09, 02:54 PM
P: 883

What are some fun or offbeat physics books that are still high quality physics?

The Shaggy Steed of Physics
CFDFEAGURU
Oct10-09, 03:32 PM
P: 723
Kip Thorne's book "Black Holes and Time Warps" is very good. It is not a book devoted to time travel. Kip Thorne is a legendary physicist on the level of Stephen Hawking. I have read this book numerous times. One of the best.

Thanks
Matt
Kalibasa
Oct10-09, 05:58 PM
P: 21
Thank you all so much! These look good, I'm buying three of them. Maybe someday I'll read them too, but I'm a little busy with ochem and biochem right now... :(
Landau
Oct10-09, 06:51 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 905
You say he's a physicist; is he a student, Phd, or... ?
f95toli
Oct10-09, 07:07 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,196
Any Book my Philip Ball! I haven't read his latest one, but e.g. H2O is a very good book.
Pinu7
Oct10-09, 07:49 PM
P: 270
I have to second "Black Holes and Time Warps."

But he might have it.
n!kofeyn
Oct10-09, 10:08 PM
P: 538
Anything by George Gamow! Very entertaining but enlightening at the same time. Plus, his books are very cheap. Just do a quick search on Amazon (note all the extremely high reviews). I recommend:
1) Gravity
2) Thirty Years That Shook Physics
3) One Two Three ... Infinity
4) Any of the Mr. Tompkins books

Gamow was one of the top physicists of the 20th century, but had a fantastic sense of humor. His writing is very fun and easy to read, but contains lots of information.

Another suggestion is Understanding Physics by Isaac Asimov (the author of I, Robot).
Vanadium 50
Oct11-09, 06:17 AM
Mentor
P: 15,569
The Flying Circus of Physics, by Jearl Walker.
George Jones
Oct11-09, 05:22 PM
Mentor
P: 6,037
The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe by Roger Penrose,

http://www.amazon.com/Road-Reality-C.../dp/0679454438.
WiFO215
Oct12-09, 11:23 AM
P: 413
Quote Quote by Vanadium 50 View Post
The Flying Circus of Physics, by Jearl Walker.
I second this one. Simply fantastic book, going over a large variety of topics found in the usual undergrad syllabus. Quite entertaining to read.

Register to reply