Which problem book to do for Physics Olympiad?

In summary: Instead, try doing some simpler exercises to get a feel for the concepts and then tackle the more difficult problems.
aspiringPhysics19
Hi there,

I know this question has been asked a million times but I need some help.

Essentially, I am studying for F=MA/UsaPhO with the goal to make camp or IPhO(?) this year.

I have begun studying with University Physics with Modern Physics, and yesterday read the first chapter of the E&M section. I have also heard that Irodov's book is good, but when I am looking at like problem 3.3 for example, I am unsure where to get started with it. I am sure over some time with a hint or two I could figure it out, but what should I do here?

I am also fairly proficient with mechanics, but even have a tough time with the mechanics Irodov problems.

I am really unsure if I am just bad at problem solving/physics, or that these are just harder problems. (USAPhO+ level?) Do you have any advice for me? (how to begin tackling these sorts of problems/easier problems that can ease me into this mindset of problem solving using physics?) Ideas for other books maybe? I just really need some advice about how to begin.

Thank you so much for all of your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could get some help on problems you're having trouble with in the homework sub-forum. Irodov 3.3. is the one about the two suspended, charged spheres, with charge leaking away, yes? If so, did you i) draw a picture and ii) try and write down the equilibrium conditions on the forces?

Have you checked out the two-volume set of books "Competitive Physics" by Jinhui Wang & Bernard Ricardo?

Likes Hamiltonian
after you are done with the basics you could use Kalda's handouts:
https://www.ioc.ee/~kalda/ipho/
also Kevin Zhou has started to make his notes and handouts available for free, do check out his Advice for Introductory physics handout, as it will answer almost all of you questions related to physics Olympiads.
https://knzhou.github.io/

Likes write4thejustice and paralleltransport
Checkout Kevin Zhou he has very good outline of how to prepare for olympiads and even full problem sets available as mentioned. It's the best resource I know online.

Besides that, Irodov has well known solution manual you can download. When I was in high school I also had difficulties with irodov. At the beginning I reversed engineered the answers from the answers in the back and after enough problems I managed to solve them mostly but it took a lot of practice. Note however that to really do irodov, you need some calculus.

The rough order of progressive mastery would be:
1. Work on "exercise" type problems from typical textbook like University physics or halliday/krane.
2. Work on irodov.

Tackling irodov right away after learning new concept may be counterproductive. It assumes you already mastered the concept.

Likes Hamiltonian

1. What is the best problem book for Physics Olympiad?

The best problem book for Physics Olympiad is subjective and depends on your level of understanding and preparation. Some popular choices include "Problems in General Physics" by I.E. Irodov, "200 Puzzling Physics Problems" by Peter Gnadig, and "Physics Olympiad Problems and Solutions" by Titu Andreescu.

2. How do I choose the right problem book for Physics Olympiad?

The right problem book for Physics Olympiad should align with your current level of understanding and challenge you to think critically. It is recommended to start with easier problem books and gradually progress to more difficult ones as you improve.

3. Can I use multiple problem books for Physics Olympiad preparation?

Yes, it is recommended to use multiple problem books for Physics Olympiad preparation. Each book may have a different approach and cover different topics, which can help you develop a well-rounded understanding of the subject.

4. Are there any online resources for Physics Olympiad problems?

Yes, there are several online resources for Physics Olympiad problems. Some popular ones include the Physics Olympiad Archive, Physics Problems and Solutions, and Physics Stack Exchange. These resources provide a variety of problems and solutions for practice and learning.

5. How can I effectively use problem books for Physics Olympiad preparation?

To effectively use problem books for Physics Olympiad preparation, it is important to not just solve the problems, but also understand the concepts and techniques used to solve them. It is also helpful to keep track of your progress and revisit difficult problems to improve your understanding.