Register to reply

Electrostatic energy of a dielectric sphere

by libelec
Tags: dielectric, electrostatic, energy, sphere
Share this thread:
libelec
Oct10-09, 05:40 PM
P: 176
1. Find the electrostatic energy of a neoprene sphere or ratio R, charged with Q if:

a) Q is uniformly distributed in surface

3. The attempt at a solution

So, I can calculate the displacement field (so that I can use the expresion U= [tex]\int \vec{D}.\vec{E} dV[/tex]), but only for those points in space where r>R. Then, given that D=[tex]\epsilon[/tex]E, I can find the electric field for r>R.

But I don't know how to get the electric field inside the sphere, since D=0 there because there're no free charges inside. It could also happen that E doesn't exist inside the sphere either, but I woundn't know the reason why.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
libelec
Oct11-09, 10:13 AM
Anybody?
libelec
Oct11-09, 04:20 PM
Does anybody know how I can get P of polarization?

gabbagabbahey
Oct12-09, 06:10 AM
HW Helper
P: 5,003
Electrostatic energy of a dielectric sphere

Quote Quote by libelec View Post
[
So, I can calculate the displacement field (so that I can use the expresion U= [tex]\int \vec{D}.\vec{E} dV[/tex]), but only for those points in space where r>R.
How are you calculating the displacement field? And why can't you calculate it for [itex]r\leq R[/itex]?

Then, given that D=[tex]\epsilon[/tex]E, I can find the electric field for r>R.
doesn't [itex]\epsilon=\epsilon_0[/itex] for [itex]r>R[/itex]?

But I don't know how to get the electric field inside the sphere, since D=0 there because there're no free charges inside. It could also happen that E doesn't exist inside the sphere either, but I woundn't know the reason why.
You've already given the reason why.....just assume that neoprene is a linear dielectric, then you know [itex]\textbf{D}=\epsilon\textbf{E}[/itex], so if [itex]\textbf{D}=0[/itex], then so does the electric field!
libelec
Oct12-09, 08:41 AM
Yes, thank you. I thought I had to find the polarization vector P.

Register to reply